Darkfighter lpr night vision issues

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I got a hikvision darkfigjter with LPR. Works great during the day.

My street is very dark, and at night it switches to night mode. Issue is, I can't read the license plate at night. Just shows a white square.

Any settings I can change so LPR works in night mode?

Thank you

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
You need a faster shutter at night, like 1/1000 or 1/2000.

Unless you have stadium quality light, the image will be black except for when a plate comes by:

1642872609586.png

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So leave in day mode all the time, black image except when a car comes by?

I tried the faster shutter speed but in night mode its still bad.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it an actual LPR camera or a camera you are using to capture plates?

Provide model number and screenshots of our field of view and camera settings.

The darkfighter may not have infrared capabilities and if it doesn't then you won't capture plates at night.

The only way to capture plates at that shutter speed is infrared reflecting off the plates at night. Unless of course you have stadium quality lighting.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's a hikvision DS-2CD7A26G0. I know the angle isn't perfect, but I just moved and that is the only location for it. During the day I can get license plates easy. At night it shifts to night mode and it's whited out.

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
These threads talk mainly about Dahua models, but there are Hikvision equivalents that will do the same things. The principals are the same no matter what brand the camera may be -

LPR

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Like I said, it is because you are running too slow of a shutter and too high of a gain. You should see basically nothing but headlight and plate like my example above. I can see your whole neighborhood in that image.

That shutter looks like it is no faster than 1/30 and it needs to be a minimum of 1/1,000

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I was going to ask if that was a tracked vehicle or a car based on how many wheels are under it in that capture. Definitely needs a faster shutter speed and some brightness/contrast adjustments. It's all a balancing act.

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Shutter speed is 1/1000. Should I turn off night mode and use only day? If I don't need to see that much I think night mode is worthless. If I leave it in day mode, it is pitch black until a car pulls up and I can see the plate.

Also there is no gain setting

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
No way that shutter speed is 1/1000. That image is too bright. 1/30 shutter tops. Look at that white plate - that is indicative of a slow shutter.

If you want to get plates and keeping it in day mode at night gets you the plate then go with it. Day mode is probably actually running a faster shutter.

Look at my picture - that is what LPR looks like at night.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
The shutter setting needs to be set at "manual" and not "shutter priority" or anything other than "manual".

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
The shutter speed is 1/1000. It's white because of the smart light feature. I turned that off and now it's darker, but the image is very grainy when a car drives up

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Then the camera is overriding a setting someone because 1/1000 wouldn't be that bright with the LED light on the camera. 1/1000 will get a plate capture.

I suspect the camera is set on auto gain and it is pegged out at 100 for the plate to be all white and the grainy you get.

Post a screenshot/video of this and screenshots of your camera settings so we can see if it is even possible.

I believe that model of Darkfighter has infrared and if so, you need to manually set it to full blast. Smart feature will not give it enough.

And you really should zoom it in a little more too.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Need to see what is under each of those settings.

Somewhere in there has to be hidden gain or AGC or something to that effect because there are other parameters that are overriding the 1/1,000 shutter.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bet you are hitting that Jim Beam trying to fix this LOL.

OK noise reduction is way too high. Drop that to 40 or so. Remember the purpose of this camera is to capture a plate and nothing else. NR that high will blur the image.

Turn HLC on at like 50

This camera see's infrared correct? If so change the Smart Management Light to manual and set it to full blast IR.

Gain is hidden somewhere - I remember someone said it has to do with a particular setting - if you are running one setting you don't see it. Let me see if I can find that again.

In the meantime lets see if this gets it going.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Found it - you can't adjust the gain when the Day/Night Switch is set to Auto... and the gain is set to 100 when the Day/Night Switch is set to Auto.

So you have to take it off auto and then you should get the gain control option.

1642987005778.png

sdiamond808

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
So what do I turn day/night to? Scheduled switch, triggered by alarm input or triggered by video?

Gain is set to 20. That work?