Dashcam suggestions

Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a dashcam that can record footage mainly for insurance/not at fault accident purposes. I won't actually really be viewing it (hopefully!) since I have 2 gopros if I want to film something like a cool road, timelapse, etc and as a result don't need something like 4k, etc.
I want something that:
  • Will capture both front and back continuously, even when parked. Wide enough FOV to capture everything going on around really (can be 2 cameras as a bundle)
  • Will overwrite old footage unless a crash or incident is detected.
  • Can capture a license plate in the event of a hit and run
  • Good enough at night to serve it's purpose
  • Ideally overlays speed/time or any other useful parameters automatically showbox
  • Easy to install/setup/get footage off of if necessary
Budget: Cheapest that gets me all of the above.
I've looked at some of the cams in the sidebar, just hoping for more specific suggestions here.

Last edited:

Jessie.slimer

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
In my experience, you will need one of the better name brands (more $) if you plan to use it at night and get license plate numbers. Even the cheap cams can do ok during the day, but reliable low light performance will cost more.

I have a couple older Blackvue models, which meet all your requirements.

Here's one of the new models. Pricey but the first time it's actually needed and gets you what it was designed to do, it will likely pay for itself, maybe many times over.

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Blackvue makes some nice dashcams. I personally really like the Aukey DR01. Its got pretty nice night and day shots and plates should be readable most times. Its about $60 on amazon. They make a GPS module that plugs into the camera to give you speed and coordinates.

As far as recording while parked, most will have a "parking mode" but what i do is hardwire mine to my battery with a hardwire kit. I drive everyday so the car battery wont drain unless I let it sit for a week. Depending on what you want to do, the parking modes dashcams offer will probably be good enough for you without draining battery much. I just always want mine recording. BTW, all dashcams will continuously overwrite old footage automatically. Just make sure to get a really good memory card. If you want recommendations, lmk.

ahlan

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Also check out a youtuber called "Techmoan". He used to review a ton of dashcams and includes sample footage.