DDNS - DynDNS vs No-IP

kwtrading

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I personally use Afraid DDNS service at my house. It's free but I have to confirm the account every 3 months and it's always worked fine.

However I am setting up another location (our cabin) that is using Verizon DSL and an Actiontec combination modem/router provided by Verizon that does not support DDNS in its setup.

So I am thinking I will just do DDNS through the camera(s) instead and if I do this I want to choose a service that is most likely to be supported on different camera brands if I change in the future.

Most of my cameras to date have been Hik's and Foscam's which both support No-IP and DynDNS in their setup.
No-IP appears to be $19.95/year but I can't find an option on DynDNS's website for less than $40/year. (Friends who use it say they pay $15-20)

Suggestions on one over the other and if there is a cheaper DynDNS option I am missing?

Thanks

Zorac

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
i was tired of the no-ip monthly nags to confirm for my free account, moved over to afraid and haven't had to confirm ever once it was setup in my router. if your already running blueiris, it also supports a free ddns forwarder.

mycoma

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
i was tired of the no-ip monthly nags to confirm for my free account, moved over to afraid and haven't had to confirm ever once it was setup in my router. if your already running blueiris, it also supports a free ddns forwarder.
I really like dynu.com Free and easy!

gilkman

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I finally paid no-ip to avoid the nags and have no complaints

Dynasty

n3wb
Reaction score
Dude you shouldn't have paid. You should have used a provider like https://now-ip.com, they're completely free, allow you as many hostnames as you want and they never expire or nag you. I've been using it for a while and the site makes it really easy to set up. Strongly recommend them!