DDNS Question

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I'm confused with setting up DDNS. Should I set up and account and place it in the router or on my NVR? Or does it need to be on both devices? The choices are different in each. Laview has their own free DDNS but, I can use no-ip for example as well. I have looked online and on this forum but I am not sure which is best or how it works.

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
Mine is working fine with No-IP. It's enough to set DDNS in NVR level. (My router has no No-IP option and it's DDNS is reserved for another DynDNS access.) The only drawback of No-IP that you have to confirm the registration monthly.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
Doesn't make much difference. All that the client does is to communicate with the DDNS server to let it know what your external IP address is. So all that you need is one device for your entire network that's running the client and able to determine the external IP to announce and update it. Generally you'd want to use some always-on device and the router is a convenient place to do so if it provides that function for whatever service you're using. If not or if you want to for some other reason (e.g., your router doesn't support whatever service you're using), then you can have it run elsewhere.

Obviously wherever you run it needs to have Internet access. If you have things double-NATed or your network segmented in some way then that can complicate things since it then will see the next internal IP as its external IP so you'd need to run it ahead of that.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Even though I'm running this, if my internal ip address changes, would this still allow access. It seems my internal one keeps changing and I'm losing contact. Do I need to uncheck DHCP in my NVR - is that why it keeps changing or should the DDNS prevent this? I'm new to this so pardon my ignorance.

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
DDNS only deals with your external IP address. It knows nothing about how things are set up inside. Basically, it points you to the front door. How you get in from there and where that goes will depend on how your system is set up internally (VPN, port forwarded, etc.). Typically, you'd want to set a static IP address for things on your network that you want to always be at the same IP address. So, generally speaking, yes, if you're wanting to access an NVR from outside it should be static. You also can reserve an IP by MAC address in a lot of routers. I typically do both in case one or the other is inadvertently changed or something glitches.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I setup all my customers with DahuaDDNS service. I find noIP needa the customer to reverify their address monthly.
FYI, that's No-IP's free service that needs verifying monthly, their paid service does not. I have their 'Enhanced' service for $24.95/year which provides 25 hostnames that never expire (no monthly verifying). I use it on the dozen or so Blue Iris installs I've done and also use their free update client ('DUC') that runs in the background on the BI server PC to update the hostname with the latest WAN IP. (No, I don't work for No-IP). Most NVR manufacturers provide a free, non-expiring DDNS service. I've set those up on Zmodo, Amcrest and Everfocus for clients, to name a few.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
My internal IP address keeps changing when I unplug my NVR to move it or power loss for example which messes up my port forwarding rules. How can I stop this? My external IP seems to stay constant at least it has. I figured the DDNS setup worked on that?

ztm

n3wb
Reaction score
My internal IP address keeps changing
Because your NVR is set up with DHCP. In NVR settings under "Network / Basic settings / TCP/IP" untick the DHCP box and give your NVR a fixed IP within your LAN. Fill the IPV4 address, subnet mask and gateway fields with this settings and you'll be OK. If you want to go for sure fix the NVR IP in your router too.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Because your NVR is set up with DHCP. In NVR settings under "Network / Basic settings / TCP/IP" untick the DHCP box and give your NVR a fixed IP within your LAN. Fill the IPV4 address, subnet mask and gateway fields with this settings and you'll be OK. If you want to go for sure fix the NVR IP in your router too.
Great, I'll try that. Thanks a lot.

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
pick an address that is not in the dhcp scope (in other words don't assign it an address that it leased from the router)

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
on your router's interface it should state dhcp enabled and range is like 100-200. You need to log in to your router and check under lan settings to see what the dhcp scope or range is set to and then pick anything you haven't already used. The max for any /24 subnet (255.255.255.0) is x.x.x.1-x.x.x.254 most dhcp servers start at x.x.x.100 but not all. I like to keep my statics in multiples of 5 so x.x.x.5 is switch, x.x.x.10 is my printer, x.x.x.25 is my current dvr, x.x.x.50 is my BI instance. x.x.x.100 is my worksation and dhcp is x.x.x.151-199. I hope that makes sense

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
on your router's interface it should state dhcp enabled and range is like 100-200. You need to log in to your router and check under lan settings to see what the dhcp scope or range is set to and then pick anything you haven't already used. The max for any /24 subnet (255.255.255.0) is x.x.x.1-x.x.x.254 most dhcp servers start at x.x.x.100 but not all. I like to keep my statics in multiples of 5 so x.x.x.5 is switch, x.x.x.10 is my printer, x.x.x.25 is my current dvr, x.x.x.50 is my BI instance. x.x.x.100 is my worksation and dhcp is x.x.x.151-199. I hope that makes sense
DHCP server, Mine says it starts at 2 and ends at 254. WINS server 0.0.0.0 Lease time 1440. Mine has been changing from like 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, now at 167. What would I pick and then shut off DHCP in the NVR and add the IP to the IPV4, subnet mask and gateway too/

jrhoops

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
thats a lot of addresses. I would change the range from 2-254 to something like 150-254

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
DHCP server, Mine says it starts at 2 and ends at 254. WINS server 0.0.0.0 Lease time 1440. Mine has been changing from like 161, 162, 163, 164, 165, 166, now at 167. What would I pick and then shut off DHCP in the NVR and add the IP to the IPV4, subnet mask and gateway too/
Having a pool of 253 addresses to assign from is overkill, I'd change that '254' to '199', allowing you to use .200 to .254 for your statics. In my area, it's common for AT&T DSL and uVerse modems to be at 192.168.1.254, CenturyLink at 192.168.1.1 (like mine) or 192.168.0.1, so my modem's DHCP pool is set for .2 to .199, I use .200 to .254 for my statics, more than enough for me.

Ronmac

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Set range to end 200. Attempted to change NVR IP , Subnet mask and Gateway to 192.168.1.201 and get a config save failed. It changed in the Verizon Fios router to .201 though. The IP will stay changed in NVR but Subnet and Gateway revert back to what was there before