DDNS requirements

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
If my WAN IP is dynamic and I configure the settings within the cam for DDNS (no-ip.com), do I have to have a computer running onsite where the camera is to update the IP? I need to do a cam install at a vacation home that is not occupied 24/7. If all I need to do is change the DNS settings on the cam/NVR then it sounds easy. The home does not have a computer running 24/7.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the Camera/NVR will update the DDNS IP anytime your host changes; however IMHO its better to use a DDNS service on your router if it offers it, and you'll be better served by running a VPN Server on the same router for remote access.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Thank you. if money is not an issue, and a static is only $7.50 per month, maybe a static would be the path of least resistance???

the Camera/NVR will update the DDNS IP anytime your host changes; however IMHO its better to use a DDNS service on your router if it offers it, and you'll be better served by running a VPN Server on the same router for remote access.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
its not worth having a static IP unless your hosting public internet services out of the house; like your own mail server, teamspeak server, game server, webserver, etc.. (largely so your users can cache dns settings instead of checking if the IP changed every time they make a request; it'll make your public services respond faster)

just setup DDNS and it'll be more than enough for personal consumption.. unlike the old dialup days; most residential broadband connections will hold onto there IP for months at a time; your likely to see less than a handfull of new IP's over a full year.. making them effectively static with such infrequent DDNS requests.

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You said my cam/NVR will update the DDNS IP whenever the host changes.....what exactly does this mean? If my No-Ip account is "exampleIPcam.no-ip.com , then I just need to enter this info into the NVR and in theory when i visit exampleIPcam.no-ip.com (with port number also) i should be good to go? I was thinking I had to also have a computer running on site. This is a learning experience for me. Thank for assisting.

its not worth having a static IP unless your hosting public internet services out of the house; like your own mail server, teamspeak server, game server, webserver, etc.. (largely so your users can cache dns settings instead of checking if the IP changed every time they make a request; it'll make your public services respond faster)

just setup DDNS and it'll be more than enough for personal consumption.. unlike the old dialup days; most residential broadband connections will hold onto there IP for months at a time; your likely to see less than a handfull of new IP's over a full year.. making them effectively static with such infrequent DDNS requests.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
the camera/nvr send out a basic web request to no-ip.com at periodic intervals (5mins or less), no-ip.com looks at the source IP for that request, and if it changed from the last one it then updates the DNS settings for eampleIPcam.no-ip.com to point it at your new IP..

If/When your dynamic IP changes; the IP associated with your ddns domain will change within that interval.. so the longest you'd have to wait and try again for the next update to come in if you just happened to get a new IP and just happened to try to call home within that small window (extremely unlikely).

trauts14

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I appreciate it. I have an active Panasonic PTZ (older model) I will play with using DDNS prior to install at vacation home. This is recreation for me and not business. the house is a family members house so I cannot get fired for not understanding DDNS lol. I enjoy learning and appreciate the assistance.

Roman

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
OP-

Two things...

1. Piggybacking off of what both Nayr and looney2ns...my dynamic IP never changes (Comcrap) unless you replace modem....stayed the same for years.

2. From experience...I would not sign up for free DDNS with any service because they require you to log on monthly to verify the service since it's free. Unless you want to pay the fee...then you don't have to register every month. No-ip is a PITA with that stuff. I would just go with a router that has DDNS built in like Asus for example. That way you set both DDNS and VPN up via the same device and done deal!

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do agree its better if the router does this; and if you have a nice Asus router it'll have an easy to setup OpenVPN Server built in, along with better DynDNS options.

for vacation properties there are some tricks to help keeping things up, putting your cable modem on a digital timer to be on all but 1min late at night will cause it to manually reboot daily, so if it needs a power cycle most you have to wait is a day for everything to come back online.. and you can also get power switches with webservers running on em that will let you power cycle other network devices remotely if they stop responding on the network.

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
These statements of *MY IP hasn't changed in XXX days, months, years" don't mean much.

While it is true a lot of IP's do not change even though there lease expires and renews. However, that IP/MAC address are tied together at the CMTS back at your cable operators OTN/Head end. Understand that if when a CMTS card is swapped due to failure, if the operator changes from a DOCSIS 3.0 to 3.1 CMTS (which is a massive project occuring right now within Comcast, Mediacom, and Cox presently in the US) if the Fiber node you are fed by is rerouted to another laser, etc then your IP can and will change. While to select users this doesn't mean much, however understand that it is quit possible to have any of the above take place, so assure you have the tools in place to not be effected by this.

Don't blindly rely on your IP not changing - this is why DNS services exist - both free and paid.