Dealing with Overhead Lights and lens flare

monstor

n3wb
Reaction score
I mounted several Dahua SD-49225 cams on poles in cow pastures last year. I have a problem with lens flare on one cam.
On the pole on the East side of the property the overhead lamp on the top of the pole does not cause a lens flare. It seems the cam is about 6 inches outside of the light cone. The camera is about 3 feet below the lamp.

The pole on the South side of the property has a newer LED lamp on it that has a wider throw. The pole is also 6 feet taller and the lamp is higher than the East pole. The camera is about 6 feet below the lamp. So the cam is well within the light cone.

What should I do to reduce or eliminate the lens flare? Mounting the cam higher is not an option in this case (I would need a small bucket truck, or a 16 foot ladder that I do not own and cannot get to the job site for a reasonable fee if I rent one).
-Install some type of plastic or metal shield over the cam, like a visor?
-Rotate the cam to be 180 degrees opposite from the lamp?

Something else? (I know the lens is dirty - that happens fast on a dusty cattle ranch.)

Attachments

awsum140

Known around here
Reaction score
The cheap, quick, fix is a shield above the camera. You'll still need to get up to the camera to do that and a simple piece of flashing should work fine, just bend it into a shallow arc for rain and snow run off.

monstor

n3wb
Reaction score
The cheap, quick, fix is a shield above the camera. You'll still need to get up to the camera to do that and a simple piece of flashing should work fine, just bend it into a shallow arc for rain and snow run off.
Thank you. I will try that today.