Decent dome camera with wide FOV?

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest a good outdoor dome IP camera that has a wide angle FOV? I recently purchased a FosCam FI9853EP with a 4 mm lens for a 70 degree. While the camera is working great the viewing angle does not cover the entire area i need it to. I would probably need close to 100 degrees or more.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

spixel

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Price range, resolution, location?

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
$100-$200 (doesn't have to be PTZ), HD 1MP min ideally, US.

Thanks.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
The question is do you want ok or the best for the buck?

zero-degrees

Known around here
Reaction score
+1 for both those options as I have both.

However, be aware that such a wide FOV will limit your IR coverage at night and be limited unless you have some lights from driveway lights or street lights to assist, if your area is pitch black you’ll need some standalone IR illuminators.

My recommendation though is the 4mp turret with the matrix IR as it will at least give you a little better IR then the standard halo cluster of the dome.

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation I will probably end up going with the 4MP turret. I currently have the Foscam turret and it works great the only issue is it does not cover the entire area. I believe it has a 4MM lens will going down to 2.8 really give me that much more viewing area? I am monitoring a fenced in area in the back yard and and I would say I can see 90% of it currently with the Foscam and I have the camera mounted as high and far as possible. Not sure if there is that big of difference going to 2.8MM

Thanks.

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
If price permits then you are doing the right choice. Will blow your Foscams out of the water.

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck.
Hikvision turret/dome that you are thinking would be ok for night time with 2.8mm lens and if you are thinking to cover a tiny spot like a porch, but anything beyond that would require lots and lots of light to get good results. I have two options listed for best bang for your buck and best for night vision coverage.

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
Hikvision turret/dome that you are thinking would be ok for night time with 2.8mm lens and if you are thinking to cover a tiny spot like a porch, but anything beyond that would require lots and lots of light to get good results. I have two options listed for best bang for your buck and best for night vision coverage.
What are your two options? Are you referring to the two suggested earlier in the thread?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
What are your two options? Are you referring to the two suggested earlier in the thread?
In my signature.

Longse (if you want turret/dome with excellent night time quality, but it lacks wide format)

or

Huisun Mini PTZ (which overall is a great cam for outdoors, but may not work for all locations)

Last edited by a moderator:

Razer

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am using the 3mp Hikvision cameras in 2mp mode (could just get 2mp and be done but I buy one camera in bulk to make my life easier) and the 2.8mm turret gets 90 degrees at least, slightly more as I can fully see both walls when mounted in the corner of a room. I am using this camera specifically:

http://www.ltsecurityinc.com/ip-camera/ip-dome/ip-network-turret-camera-cmip3032-28.html

The 2mp version would work just as well, and I have tried 40 of the 4mp cameras and I wen back to the 3mp cameras and will not try the 4mp cameras of this generation again. They are okay, but the 2mp and 3mp perform a lot better. I'm attaching a quick photo to show the angle covered, this will be less than totally useful as I had to block some of the image but you can still see the full 90 degrees plus being covered correctly with the 2.8mm Hikvision. Sorry for only having a redacted photo to share.

90.jpg

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DS-2CD2120F-I massively underrated. If I had to do another friends then I would probably fit those (jack-of-all-trades). Sure you can get better like the Longse, but for non-hobbyists it's best to stick with Hikvision I feel. You get good software and proven reliability.

Yes I'm going to get some Longse or similar but I've had to finally admit... I'm a hobbyist now!

cwag17

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions, I think I am going to go with the 3mp Hikvision as it should serve my needs. We will see when it gets here.

Thanks again all.