Decent indoor PT cameras?

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I am starting to put together the surveillance system for my home. I would like a couple of indoor PT cameras similar to the Foscam R4 or Reolink C1 Pro, but I can't seem to find anything close from Dahua or Hikvision. I know how most on these forums feel about Foscam and Reolink, but I can't seem to find a similarly styled indoor PT camera, or any indoor PT camera at all for that matter, from one of the more highly thought of brands.

Is anyone aware of a better brand that offers a similarly styled indoor PT camera?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am starting to put together the surveillance system for my home. I would like a couple of indoor PT cameras similar to the Foscam R4 or Reolink C1 Pro, but I can't seem to find anything close from Dahua or Hikvision. I know how most on these forums feel about Foscam and Reolink, but I can't seem to find a similarly styled indoor PT camera, or any indoor PT camera at all for that matter, from one of the more highly thought of brands.

Is anyone aware of a better brand that offers a similarly styled indoor PT camera?

Thanks.
You dont need a pt camera. You are not going to be sitting there panning the camera all day. Put a camera in the corner of the room and get the entire room 24/7.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
You're probably right.

Assuming I agree, what do they offer for indoor cameras? I see the Hikvision Cube cameras, and they'd probably do what I want. What about Dahua? Do they offer anything comparable? And do either offer anything in black? What is it with this sea of white plastic in their product lines? Do neither offer anything other than white?

Fenderman, as always, thanks for the advice.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
You're probably right.

Assuming I agree, what do they offer for indoor cameras? I see the Hikvision Cube cameras, and they'd probably do what I want. What about Dahua? Do they offer anything comparable? And do either offer anything in black? What is it with this sea of white plastic in their product lines? Do neither offer anything other than white?

Fenderman, as always, thanks for the advice.
Are you going to run the wired or wireless?

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I prefer to run everything on my network wired, if at all possible. Phones and tablets are about the only thing I've ever used wirelessly. My mentality is, if it has an ethernet port, use it.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That makes things easier. I would look at this camera.
IPC-HFW1831C-PIR 8MP WDR IR Mini Bullet Network Camera / Active Deterrence

If you prefer the hik format, look for one like this with low light darkfighter technology
DS-2CD2435FWD-I(W) 3 MP IR Fixed Cube Network Camera-Hikvision

If the black color is really important and you dont want to paint, then look at the amcrest pt cams, they are made by dahua, and as much as I dislike them as a company they are the only ones with this format in black.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Fenderman, does Dahua make all of Amcrest's cameras, or just the PT style? Also, if I may ask, what is it you don't like about Amcrest?

Thanks.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Fenderman, does Dahua make all of Amcrest's cameras, or just the PT style? Also, if I may ask, what is it you don't like about Amcrest?

Thanks.
Most of them, possibly all, they don't have any of the good low light cameras though. The folks that run amcrest are the same guys who were the Houston distributors of foscam and left many users high and dry after selling that crap. The rebranded cameras they sell are overpriced as well.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

You're right. My cameras are going in in hopes of catching a good face shot of someone breaking into my home, and I doubt I'm going to be watching from work, panning the cameras around. As long as I get a camera setup at a good angle to catch a good view of the room or doorway I'm monitoring, I seriously doubt I'll ever have the need to move my camera.

I'm just not big on white plastic, as it has a tendency to yellow over time. It also stands out much more and draws attention to itself, but it's not the end of the world.

I'll probably stick to the Hikvision Cube cameras for indoors and some Dahua Starlight or Hikvision DarkFighter dome cameras for outdoors.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I see.

You're right. My cameras are going in in hopes of catching a good face shot of someone breaking into my home, and I doubt I'm going to be watching from work, panning the cameras around. As long as I get a camera setup at a good angle to catch a good view of the room or doorway I'm monitoring, I seriously doubt I'll ever have the need to move my camera.

I'm just not big on white plastic, as it has a tendency to yellow over time. It also stands out much more and draws attention to itself, but it's not the end of the world.

I'll probably stick to the Hikvision Cube cameras for indoors and some Dahua Starlight or Hikvision DarkFighter dome cameras for outdoors.
I have a few older hik cubes, they are still white.
The dahua is made of metal and also has a better pir sensor and has a white light led if that is useful to you.
dont use dome cameras anywhere. You will have issues with IR reflection.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
So, then bullets for outdoors?
Turrets are ideal, but not available in every sensor type, but certainly bullets over domes. The newer bullets are much better than the older ones when it comes to avoiding spider web issues. Domes will be a mess.

bfollowell

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
OK, so turrets, then bullets for outside. Don't consider anything else for outside. Got it.

I know I'l make some mistakes. I know nothing I buy is going to last forever, but still, I'd prefer to limit my mistakes as much as possible and come up with a decent system that I'll be relatively pleased with for at least several years.

Thanks.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so turrets, then bullets for outside. Don't consider anything else for outside. Got it.

I know I'l make some mistakes. I know nothing I buy is going to last forever, but still, I'd prefer to limit my mistakes as much as possible and come up with a decent system that I'll be relatively pleased with for at least several years.

Thanks.
Be sure to study these: Wiki and Cliff Notes.
Review-Dahua IPC-K35A 3mp Cube Camera | IP Cam Talk Video will be posted shortly in that thread.