Reolink: Deconstruction of a dangerous misleading youtube review "Finding the BEST 4K Security Camera NVR Package (Reolink vs Amcrest vs Swann)"

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I actually like Wyze cams, they are a half measure but they are nice for inside or temporary spots.
Yeah, there is certainly a use for them, but not as the only cameras on a house or in a critical location.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
imho - I like a solid core IP PoE wired system .. and then augment with cloudy / wifi cameras as needed.

I've come to the conclusion that I'd no longer care if people see that I have cameras up .. too many bad things happening to people now ..

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
I've got three cameras on the eaves in the front of the house, two more mounted in trees in the front yard (fairly big yard) and the only camera that ever gets noticed is the POS DB1C doorbell camera.

As far as Wyze or any of those brands, I'd rather use an Amcrest for inside or even protected areas outside. No cloud needed and a choice of Ethernet or WiFi.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
I just happened to catch the latest "TheHookUp" video just minutes after it was posted. I am actually a subscriber to his channel. I actually think the video is one of his best (on the subject of CCTV) and posted a positive comment and thanked him for posting this content (I had previously criticized him for not posting this content). It was up for just just a couple of minutes before it was removed. I actually posted it again thinking it might be a technical issue. Nope. He must have blocked me. I did post a link to the IPVM calculator in my post because it provides an easy way for viewers to get the same type of overview he used in the video. I'm not sure if he just holds a grudge because I called him out in previous videos, or if he had a problem with the link. Either way, it is simply another strike against him in my book. EDIT - It might have been Youtube automatically removing my post and not something TheHookUp did.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I just happened to catch the latest "TheHookUp" video just minutes after it was posted. I am actually a subscriber to his channel. I actually think the video is one of his best and posted a positive comment. It was up for just just a couple of minutes before it was removed. I actually posted it again thinking it might be a technical issue. Nope. He must have blocked me. I did post a link to the IPVM calculator in my post because it provides an easy way for viewers to get the same type of overview he used in the video. I'm not sure if he just holds a grudge because I called him out in previous videos, or if he had a problem with the link. Either way, it is simply another strike against him in my book.
So you are saying he removed a positive post LOL. Was it a back-handed compliment LOL.

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
So you are saying he removed a positive post LOL. Was it a back-handed compliment LOL.
I edited my post to add some more clarity, but I said something like "Great video. Thanks for posting it" and "You might want to check out the IPVM calculator because it can provide a overlay like you used in your video". I then shared the calculator link and talked about how the site worked - how to check for blind spots using the calculator, etc. There was absolutely no criticizing or "back handed" compliments at all (ie I didn't say something like "Finally you talk about DORI" - which would be a back handed compliment). I didn't talk badly about any of the cameras or products in the video, nor did I bring up any of his previous videos or my criticism of them.

My only thought is that he felt like I was shilling for IPVM and their services. I'm not. I am only an enthusiast that enjoys this stuff, but my job is not in any way related to the tech field in general and certainly not related to CCTVs.

Last edited:

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I edited my post to add some more clarity, but I said something like "Great video. Thanks for posting it" and then shared the calculator link and talked about how the site worked - how to check for blind spots using the calculator, etc. There was absolutely no criticizing or "back handed" compliments at all.
if he or a company he hired hide your comments , you can still see them. they are also listed in your comment feed.

if they are deleted then its the youtube spam detection.. nothing to do with hookup.. mostly comes if you post links

The Automation Guy

Known around here
Reaction score
if he or a company he hired hide your comments , you can still see them. they are also listed in your comment feed.

if they are deleted then its the youtube spam detection.. nothing to do with hookup.. mostly comes if you post links
That's good to know.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

FWIW - youtube has major spambot issues in their chats .. sometimes they do a decent job on the anti-spam work .. and other times a hand grenade vs a cockroach ..

sometimes youtube kills links, sometimes keyword based, .. various reasons, and it is never fully stable ..

( and yes, the Hookup does deserve a thanks for finally brining up DORI .. imho this is critical to frame the discussion of "range" .. however, it is only a theoretical math based approach and still needs real world confirmation under expected conditions .. )

user8963

Known around here
Reaction score
I follow him on twitter and he has been pretty vocal about the anti spam bots on youtube taking down comments:

i laughed a bit that he is talking about his youtube channel and spam detection and a random guy posted that he purchased led stripes from aliexpress... what is wrong with these people...

i dont like hookup, but at least we are not in his position. this shit is getting serious in the US.

*edit sorry now see that he posted a screenshot ^^ looked strange here in the forum LOL

Last edited:

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
Another review for perusal.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Griswalduk

Known around here
Reaction score
I like that channel, wish he'd do more professional grade cameras again.
My thoughts exactly. if you compare the latest reolink reviews with some earlier reviews featuring hikvision its clear they leave a lot to be desired and anybody with any reasonable expectations will be disappointed.

I didn't want to spoil the plot in my post and reveal the disappearing hand / ghosting effect though I'm sure most of you could have predicted that lol. The LED white lights however were brighter than i expected but I'm not sure how useful they'd be in the real world. If i want light I'll buy floodlights.

Here's hoping he gets back to the good stuff

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey! At least it is not an entire leg!!
How about everything missing but the head and upper torso :lmao:

The invisible man, where can he be. Thank goodness he is carrying around a reflective plate to see where he is LOL

I've seen better images on an episode of ghost hunters :lmao:

1643488485807.png

Last edited: