Hikvision Dedicated License Plate Reading

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Yeah, Guess those are too cheap...probably no shutter speed control either.
What I'd really like is some sort of compact setup with a camera having two lenses facing left\right to capture cars coming & going in both directions at the same time! ...pretty sure that does not exist other than maybe using one of the new 3 lens 180 deg cams for like $1,200.

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Well yeah but they are old retired and sometimes cranky people who will complain to the subdivision board and technically I'd be recording the subdivision "private" streets and yada yada I can just see them bitching now.

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
stand up for your rights, from your property you can record anything you can reasonably see.. even other people's private property.

The general rule in the United States is that anyone may take photographs of whatever they want when they are in a public place or places where they have permission to take photographs. Absent a specific legal prohibition such as a statute or ordinance, you are legally entitled to take photographs. Examples of places that are traditionally considered public are streets, sidewalks, and public parks.
Property owners may legally prohibit photography on their premises but have no right to prohibit others from photographing their property from other locations. Whether you need permission from property owners to take photographs while on their premises depends on the circumstances. In most places, you may reasonably assume that taking photographs is allowed and that you do not need explicit permission. However, this is a judgment call and you should request permission when the circumstances suggest that the owner is likely to object. In any case, when a property owner tells you not to take photographs while on the premises, you are legally obligated to honor the request.
http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf

of course this applies to video also; since its nothing more than a series of photos

hmjgriffon

Known around here
Reaction score
Yup, I guess you choose to live in one of those HOAs or something where you don't really own your house they do even though to pay for it and you pay them to tell you what to do. But if you aren't doing anything illegal and you don't live somewhere they can punish you for doing something legal, F em. What's more important, your security and doing what you want on your property or getting dirty looks from old people. FYI, old people are always grumpy no matter what. We've become a society of sissies that only cares about everyone else's feelings.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

nbstl68

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Def a society of pissy people..the old and the very young...old feel they have earned the rght...the young know nothing but that they are never supposed to not get things their way.
I have a typical subdivision with basic bylaws...nothing too restrictive....I just want to get along with the people that I'll have to live by the next 20 yrs.

And if you are in the U.S., you know that none of us, including you don'treally own our homes or our land...even if it is fully paid for with no mortgage.
Just try not paying your taxes for one year and see what happens to what you think you own.
The land of the free is far from free to live in.
The price you pay for the life we are allowed is not cheap.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It was warm this weekend, got the mailbox in the ground.

222882031432563173-account_id=1.jpg

I'll have a 110v line and 4 network runs going to the box. Camera facing each direction and one pointing backwards towards the house.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You can't see them? Excellent :)

jk they aren't installed yet. Waiting for the paint to dry and concrete to cure

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I got the 60w bulb installed and the electricity flowing to the LED illuminator this afternoon.

Untitled.png

The cameras are just laying at the base of the mailbox right now, not mounted yet, things still need to be aimed etc.

Home_IP Camera12_Home_20170215202611_255739.jpg Home_IP Camera5_Home_20170215202611_249564.jpg

I still think I need to upgrade to a 16mm for the cars traveling left. I have to aim a little further down the road to get a straight shot and they are on the opposite side of the road:

Home_IP Camera9_Home_20170215210851_323346.jpg Home_IP Camera5_Home_20170215210851_319103.jpg

gamer4life

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It was warm this weekend, got the mailbox in the ground.

View attachment 15120

I'll have a 110v line and 4 network runs going to the box. Camera facing each direction and one pointing backwards towards the house.

Would you mind showing the camera setup? Looks like you whited out the cameras. Very interested in doing this project.

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
That's where the address # is. I'm currently painting the cameras to match the mailbox. Might be able to do it this weekend.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If you want a low-profile camera, it might be good if it was somehow combined with that light fixture. At night it would be nearly impossible to see due to glare from the light itself. During the day, it might escape notice if it blends into the design of the fixture.

pal251

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'm following this page, eager to see what it looks like. Sucks my mailbox is on the opposite side of my house :(

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I'm following this page, eager to see what it looks like. Sucks my mailbox is on the opposite side of my house :(
However, if you managed to get power to it somehow, it would have a good view of your own house, and anyone approaching it.
Maybe not good enough to cross under a road, but you can use a garden hose with a jet nozzle to tunnel under sidewalks and driveways: Shop Orbit Black Tunneling Kit at Lowes.com

mlapaglia

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Crossing under a road might get you in a sticky situation with your city/county or whatever. Might be able to contact your neighbor to get them to run power to the box, then use a wireless connection for the camera though.

cam235

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Of course you should do whatever is appropriate to your situation. I was thinking about some place like the rural road I grew up on, where you might even see an extension cord simply run right over the road surface (!) from a house to a barn, to keep the hog watering trough from freezing, etc.