dedicated PC

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
How do i dedicate a PC totally to my bi 10 cameras that are running off of a dvr? I'm a newbie at all this...please keep this in mind as you explain.
Thank you for the help in advanced.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Back in October, as I understand it, you were viewing 8 cams on BI and the cams were connected to the DVR, is that right? And at that time, you wanted to record video clips to a new drive and not the C: drive on the PC, correct?

Were you able to get that going?

I ask because that will allow me to better answer your question.... "How do i dedicate a PC totally to my bi 10 cameras".

Q™

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
How do i dedicate a PC totally to my bi 10 cameras that are running off of a dvr?
Hi @LadyAlison. IP cameras run over your local area network (LAN); each is assigned a "static IP address." The cameras are (usually) powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and they are connected to to a network "switch" which connects your cameras to your network, which also connects your Blue Iris (BI) "server" computer to the network. Your BI Server computer is also usually assigned a "static IP address." Therefore, to dedicate a BI server to 10 IP cameras usually required that you...
  1. Obtain a PoE switch
  2. Assign static IP addresses to your cameras and to your BI server
  3. Plug all of your cameras and BI server into the PoE switch
  4. "Add" each camera to your BI server and configure motion detection (Triggering) and recording for each camera in Blue Iris
Once you understand this it really is quite simple.

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
Back in October, as I understand it, you were viewing 8 cams on BI and the cams were connected to the DVR, is that right? And at that time, you wanted to record video clips to a new drive and not the C: drive on the PC, correct?

Were you able to get that going?

I ask because that will allow me to better answer your question.... "How do i dedicate a PC totally to my bi 10 cameras".
Yes ... and correct

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi @LadyAlison. IP cameras run over your local area network (LAN); each is assigned a "static IP address." The cameras are (usually) powered by Power Over Ethernet (PoE) and they are connected to to a network "switch" which connects your cameras to your network, which also connects your Blue Iris (BI) "server" computer to the network. Your BI Server computer is also usually assigned a "static IP address." Therefore, to dedicate a BI server to 10 IP cameras usually required that you...
  1. Obtain a PoE switch
  2. Assign static IP addresses to your cameras and to your BI server
  3. Plug all of your cameras and BI server into the PoE switch
  4. "Add" each camera to your BI server and configure motion detection (Triggering) and recording for each camera in Blue Iris
Once you understand this it really is quite simple.
Ok I'm order the POE now...
Thanks and great memory you have....thanks

LadyAlison

n3wb
Reaction score
Looks like ">@Q 's got you taken care of. :D
Yes and simple enough for even me to understand...
I greatly appreciate it...in the process of following up now. Thank you for caring.