Deepstack Not recording with High Accuracy

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello All,

I have seen a few threads on Deepstack at night and went through changed my camera settings ensured MD and SMD are off, disabled IVS , but I cant seem to get deepstack to work continuously at night.

Below are two Screen shots I have taken that Deepstack has analyzed but it will not flag an alert, it also does it on 2 other cameras as well, and I cant figure out why. Any thoughts, ill take any. I am continuously recording + alerts, so I don't miss anything, but of course, they are usually in Low Res because its not flagged.

Attachments

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Keep in mind that real time DeepStack and Analysis after the fact are two different things. We will always get Deepstack to pick-up on analysis.

I suspect your FPS and iframes do not match.

Please post the BI camera status page that shows IP address, FPS, bitrate, KEY, etc. If your KEY is less than 1.00, then that is your problem.

Your one view from upstairs between two trees, that car is in the field of view for a split second. With a KEY of 0.4, that means anything that can be in and out of that frame in 2.5 seconds or less can be missed for motion.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, that will do it. BI is more stable with just H264 and not H264H. That could contribute to misses as well.

Movies on the big screen are shot at 24FPS, so I do not think we need 30FPS for our mobile devices and tablets LOL. Shutter speed to capture details is much more important than FPS.

15 FPS is sufficient for surveillance cameras. Many of mine I run at 10FPS

I have a cam set at 1/2000 shutter speed for day and 10fps. Blows my neighbors video out of the water and he is running 60fps and he cannot figure out why mine is better.

Keep in mind that these type of cameras, although are spec'd and capable of these various parameters, real world testing by many of us shows if you try to run these units at higher FPS and higher bitrates than needed that you will max out the CPU in the unit and then it bugs out just long enough that you miss something or video is choppy. My car is rated for 6,000RPM redline, but I am not gonna run it in 3rd gear on the highway at 6,000RPM...same with these types of units - gotta keep them under rated capacity. Some may do better than others, but trying to use the rated "spec" of every option available is usually not going to work well, either with a car or a camera or NVR.

I have a cheapo camera I use for overview purposes, but one of the cool things that camera has though in the gui is it shows the CPU usage. If I max out the FPS, bitrate, use it's motion detection and set it to middle sensitivity, the CPU maxes out 100% quite often. If I run it at 15 FPS with an appropriate bitrate and motion detection at a reasonable level, the CPU sits around 40%. I suspect even the more expensive cameras function close to this.

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Thanks - Will make those changes. SOme of them were at 60 FPS so I moved them to 30 because of the reasons you stated but ill bring them down further. The other odd thing I noticed with the Dahua is even the IVS misses sometimes at night, so I enabled the built-in deep stack and it still didn't trip. Ill make these changes and see what happens.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, the CPU maxing out in the camera can certainly cause IVS to miss.

But it appears you might be on auto/default settings? There doesn't appear to be a lot of contrast differences in your images and that could be why it misses.

And the one has a lot of IR bounceback that could contribute to it missing.

iikingli

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not auto - similar settings for both my front yard Dahua cams, might have to tweak it a bit more. I was focusing on images in the yard, but anything in the road rarely triggers.

I just realized after I took the screen shot, some of my contrast settings have changed/saturation etc...hrmm

Attachments

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Use IE, available in Win10 from the search box on the tool bar, to make adjustments. Save the settings several times to make sure they "stick". Log out of the camera, then log back in and verify the settings have held.

With IVS you should calibrate it. From the IVS page select the Global Settings tab. There you'll see where to enter calibration points. Calibration points are three, one meter, sticks place near, mid and far in the frame. This gives the camera its' needed references for IVS.

With DeepStack it may pay to use the Dark Model, dark.pt. I have been using it, quite successfully, at night. It still misses some but the view angles make headlight bloom a problem for my cameras. YMMV.