Deepstack - which mode for sub streams?

joshwah

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I am trying to lower my cpu usage which seems to spike despite me using GPU… one thing I’ve considered is that I’ve got my deepstack on high version, and I’ve heard that blue iris needs to resize all images before sending to DS, which will obviously use cpu etc.

With that said, I am sending sub streams to deepstack but realised my sub streams are currently 1280x720 and high bitrates.

Therefore, what is the best resolution to set my sub stream to? 704x576(D1) or 640x480(VGA).. keep in mind I am using “high mode” on deepstack

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Make sure the box for "Use Main Stream if Available" is not checked in each camera for the AI configuration. DS, and senseAI, both downsize the resolution to 640x640 for detection. That will lower CPU a little and save some time on detections.

What processor and what is the utilization? How many cameras? I'm running 22 cameras using sub streams. With the old machine, i7-6700K, CPU was under 20%. On the new machine, i7-12700K, it rarely over 5%. The sub streams are all relatively high bit rates, 1024 for 2MP cameras and 2048 for 4MP cameras.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
High does not refer to the quality of the image, it is how much processing power is tossed at the photo to analyze it.

It comes down to your individual field of views as well. I run DeepStack on low because in my testing between low, medium, and high, they all captured the same objects, just the high was the most CPU intensive. So I run mine on low and get less spiking and quicker times.

As always, YMMV.