Defragment storage on BI system

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
How often do you guys defragment the HDD on your Blue Iris system? I have a 250gb SSD for the OS and BI app, and a 4TB WD Purple drive for the new and storage clips. The WD drive shows 30% fragmentation often. Is it something to be concerned with given the use case? Would I get any benefit from having the new clips saved to the SSD and moved to storage on the purple drive?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Recording compressed video, particularly if it is not continuously recording, is actually a fairly light load for a hard drive. Consider a heavy camera load of 100 Mbps is actually only 1/10th (give or take) of a modern hard drive's write speed. All that fragmentation really does is slow down read speed, and to some extent write speed (if the free space is also fragmented). It would take some truly horrific fragmentation to make the drive unable to cope with a typical Blue Iris load. I wouldn't worry about defragmenting the HDD.

There could be some benefit to saving clips on the SSD first, since the files must grow continuously during recording, this opens the door for fragmentation. By the time they move to the HDD, the final file size will be known. As a bonus, viewing clips off the SSD should be a little bit snappier than off the HDD. But if it is a lot of clips, you could just end up wearing out the SSD prematurely.

rotorwash

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
But if it is a lot of clips, you could just end up wearing out the SSD prematurely.
That is what I was worried about. I'll just proceed along without to much concern on defrag then.

Thanks!