Delay When Motion Recording

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Not sure how to explain it, but when my cameras are activated due to BI motion and they record a sequence and I play back the recording, the video starts a few seconds past where it should. The thumbnail image of the video shows where it should start but when I play it, it starts after the object has already passed. Does that make sense? It seemed to have just started after I changed the resolution and capture mode on the Hik cameras.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Not sure how to explain it, but when my cameras are activated due to BI motion and they record a sequence and I play back the recording, the video starts a few seconds past where it should. The thumbnail image of the video shows where it should start but when I play it, it starts after the object has already passed. Does that make sense? It seemed to have just started after I changed the resolution and capture mode on the Hik cameras.
when using direct to disc, the recording starts on the new iframe...in the camera match the iframe interval to the fps, in blue iris set pretrigger recording to 3 seconds

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
That would explain it... I am finally able to use direct to disc without the recording being all screwed up and pixelated. I'm running 11 3MP Hik cams and a 2MP 20x PTZ and my CPU is only at 28% on an i7-3610QM laptop. We'll see how it does when the wind blows leaves and they all start recording, probably will crash !

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
That would explain it... I am finally able to use direct to disc without the recording being all screwed up and pixelated. I'm running 11 3MP Hik cams and a 2MP 20x PTZ and my CPU is only at 28% on an i7-3610QM laptop. We'll see how it does when the wind blows leaves and they all start recording, probably will crash !
if its running at 28 percent it should not crash even with all cams recording...biggest issue you will have is likely all cams recording to a single likely slow laptop drive

OICU2

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
Yea... slow laptop drive is the weak link. I'm planning an upgrade to a SFF unit in a year or two with better drives. But I'm still ecstatic it's at 28-29% with all those cams pushing 3MP.

protivakid

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
when using direct to disc, the recording starts on the new iframe...in the camera match the iframe interval to the fps, in blue iris set pretrigger recording to 3 seconds
So I am having the same problem as the OP but my issue is more exaggerated. My camera settings are set at 15fps and my iFrame Interval was 50 but I bumped that down to 15 as you suggested. This seems like it would solve a problem where the user was only having a 3-4 second delay.

In my case though if I blow up the Alert Image I can see the camera time stamp of 9:43:45 with an animal in my yard. My recording didn't begin though until 9:43:58 which is 13 seconds later. I have my Pre-Trigger Buffer set to a generous "10 Sec" and am using Direct-to-Disk to an SSD Drive solely used for Blue Iris.

Any ideas?