Deleting clips doesn't free up disk space

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
I've noticed that deleting recorded clips from within BI (using "Destroy") does not free up the disk space on my hard drive. It remains as Used Space (as seen in File Explorer - Properties). This restricts and steadily reduces the amount of Free Space to the point that I have to reformat the drive periodically to restore the Free Space to a usable size.

There are no files in the Recycle bin, so it's not that.

Anyone got any ideas what's causing this rather odd phenomenon? It's doing my head in!

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
Am I really the only one who's got this problem?

My HDD is used solely for storing BI clips. After deleting all clips, I have repaired the DB from within BI but you can see from the Status screenshot that about 20% of the disk is still marked as used. There are no files on the disk. Not even hidden ones. And the Recycle bin is empty.

screenshot.png

So what's going on?!!!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you likely are the only one with the problem. I would email support. If it shows full after manually deleting files off the drive via explorer then its a windows issue not blue iris.

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
The disk is in my server running on Windows Home Server 2011.

Last edited:

nayr

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
if you restart BlueIris does the disk space free up? many times the OS will not register free space until the program using it has exited out.. it'll still try to hold onto the files even though they appear deleted.

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks - good idea. I'll try...........

So.

I've deleted all file clips, taken screenshot2, rebooted the server, restarted BI and taken screenshot3.

screenshot2.png screenshot3.png

No change. But thanks again for the suggestion.

andy48

n3wb
Reaction score
The same issue but I don't get disparity between Explorer and BI numbers.

screenshot4.pngscreenshot5.png

(Used space is bigger than yesterday as I've deleted more clips this morning)