Dell Optiplex 7010 is dead -- How to troubleshoot power supply issue?

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My continuously running pc that I use for Blue-Iris has croaked. There was a power outage here last week so I powered it down before the UPS battery died -- but it now has a definite problem. Apparently the power supply or the motherboard is sick.

If I plug it in I can hear a faint "chirping" sound from the speaker on the motherboard, however pressing the normal power button does nothing. If I press the little button on the back of the power supply this also does nothing, but if I disconnect the power supply from the motherboard then the little button on the power supply will light the associated green LED. According to online Dell information this may mean the power supply is okay.

I've removed all memory, disks and cards and changed the coin-cell battery but see the same result.

Could the power supply still be bad? Should I check voltages on it?

If I replace the motherboard will my Win10 install be invalid?

Thanks.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
you can order a power supply off ebay for a 7010.
is it a Tower or a SFF? In this era there were thre models.
The SFF , the "desktop" DT and the tower. MT. I don't think this era had the Micro yet.

the tower takes a standardized power supply.
The "Desktop" model takes the second one.

Last edited:

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

Tower--->

As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
I have purchased at least 5 Power supplies from eBay for Dell optiplex over the last decade. All for 24/7 systems.
i have had good luck with used or new....
My Son manages a restaurant/bar where they have 3 Opti pc's of various generations that i have kept alive From Windows XP era up to Win 7 era.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
Are you sure its a SFF? not the DT? I only ask because they made naming changes along the way with the terms....USFF SFF DT MT Micro

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Well, it's either the power supply or the motherboard. I just wish I could make a definite diagnosis.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score

c hris527

Known around here
Reaction score
My continuously running pc that I use for Blue-Iris has croaked. There was a power outage here last week so I powered it down before the UPS battery died -- but it now has a definite problem. Apparently the power supply or the motherboard is sick.

If I plug it in I can hear a faint "chirping" sound from the speaker on the motherboard, however pressing the normal power button does nothing. If I press the little button on the back of the power supply this also does nothing, but if I disconnect the power supply from the motherboard then the little button on the power supply will light the associated green LED. According to online Dell information this may mean the power supply is okay.

I've removed all memory, disks and cards and changed the coin-cell battery but see the same result.

Could the power supply still be bad? Should I check voltages on it?

If I replace the motherboard will my Win10 install be invalid?

Thanks.
Depending on your power supply, You should be able to jump start your power supply by grounding the (GREEN 5v standby) wire to one of the BLACK wires "GROUND" and get it working. Lots of you tube videos on this quick test.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
You can buy a whole 7010 and cover all the bases nearly the same price as just the PSU
Yeah, that is my dilemma, except there is also the Win10 question. If it isn't the power supply then I'll have to buy another machine with Win10.

Flintstone61

Known around here
Reaction score
If it wont activate, you can call Microsoft support and explain the MOBO died ( I've done it 3x in Windows 7 days) and tell them what happened and you swapped it.
and then I was able to get it activated.
But with Windows as a service ( Windows 10) i dont think youll have an issue.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldnt spend 30 bux on a 10 year old system and messing with diagnosis. For 150 or less you can buy an i5-8500 eighth gen system that will be much more powerful and more efficient.
Here is a 9th gen i5 for 170 with shipping, but has a best offer. You can likely snag this for 150.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't fix the current machine, it will save you money over the long term due to updating to a much more energy efficient machine like with the one @fenderman linked above.

davej

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I agree, I wouldn't fix the current machine, it will save you money over the long term due to updating to a much more energy efficient machine like with the one @fenderman linked above.
Well that is an interesting thought. Just what would the difference in power usage be? This was a 7010 SFF with a i7-3770 @ 3.2GHz so that is 77W. The other was an i5-9500 @ 3GHz so that is 65W. So I don't see much difference here comparing 77W to 65W.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Well that is an interesting thought. Just what would the difference in power usage be? This was a 7010 SFF with a i7-3770 @ 3.2GHz so that is 77W. The other was an i5-9500 @ 3GHz so that is 65W. So I don't see much difference here comparing 77W to 65W.
You cannot measure power consumption that way. The system doesnt use the max tdp. But the i5-9500 will be under less load than the i7-3770 because its 50 percent faster in single core processing alone - not to mention that it has more cores. That said, even a 10w difference translates to about 20 bux a year on the east and west coasts. If I had to guestimate I would say you will drop power consumption by 10-20w. The 120 dollars (After you subtract the cost of a power supply) will pay for itself. The power supply efficiency also plays a role.