Dell XPS Skylake i7 PC w/ 16GB RAM, 2GB GPU $690

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Coffee Lake (8000 series / 8th generation) CPUs just came out today, with two more cores on every CPU compared to years previous.

Once the dust settles, you'll be able to do a lot better than that for $690. (edited: new i3 quad cores don't have hyperthreading) for a quad core with hyper-threading because the new i3 is equivalent to old i7 chips (4 cores + hyperthreading).

Last edited:

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
True, but the question is how long before Dell actually makes systems, because only "enthusiast" MOBO's will be available through the end of the year. I don't know how that affects Dell MOBO's; I wonder who makes theirs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I have no idea who makes Dell's boards.

I kind of want to upgrade my i7-3770k to i7-8700K now so I can run higher FPS, but in the end it is a lot of money to spend for a cosmetic improvement and almost certainly increased power consumption. I might have been doing mass upgrades to 8 MP by now if it were not for that damned starlight series, and then I really would need a faster system.

Frank Ecker

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Off topic but... I wish the previously suggested sticky thread with latest deals was implemented. I know there are some common sources for the HP and Dell "standard" systems but can't find the threads.

giomania

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Coffee Lake (8000 series / 8th generation) CPUs just came out today, with two more cores on every CPU compared to years previous.

Once the dust settles, you'll be able to do a lot better than $690 for a quad core with hyper-threading because the new i3 is equivalent to old i7 chips (4 cores + hyperthreading).
Will definitely be a better value eventually; only hyper-threading on Core i7, however. They mentioned this in a LinusTechTips video, and I confirmed by searching.

Intel Core i7-8700K And Core i5-8400 CPU Review: More Cores, More Performance, Strong Value | HotHardware

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk