desiccant inside cameras

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I bought some new Dahua IP cameras and opened them up to install memory cards in them.
I noticed little bags of small grain like substance inside them.
Usually find these in packaging of electronics etc to I think to suck up any moisture.
Have not seem them inside electroincs before and was wondering if they should be removed.
An email to Andy and says please leave them in.

My first thought was they may be there for when cameras are stored in the original boxes for a long time.

I did search on here and looks like it is called "desiccant"
If not already mentioned, (for newbies like me) maybe in the Wiki or somewhere else it could be mentioned to please leave these in the cameras as my first thought was to remove them.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I bought some new Dahua IP cameras and opened them up to install memory cards in them.
I noticed little bags of small grain like substance inside them.
Usually find these in packaging of electronics etc to I think to suck up any moisture.
Have not seem them inside electroincs before and was wondering if they should be removed.
An email to Andy and says please leave them in.

My first thought was they may be there for when cameras are stored in the original boxes for a long time.

I did search on here and looks like it is called "desiccant"
If not already mentioned, (for newbies like me) maybe in the Wiki or somewhere else it could be mentioned to please leave these in the cameras as my first thought was to remove them.
It's mentioned throughout the form you should leave it inside the camera, it prevents condensation. Why would you think to remove them? Many people never even open the cameras.

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
It's mentioned throughout the form you should leave it inside the camera, it prevents condensation. Why would you think to remove them? Many people never even open the cameras.
One camera is a PTZ and I thought maybe the packet might break down over time (years) and the contents get into the mechanism.
Now I know better. :)

adamg

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I think you'll be better off, long term, overall, by leaving them as-is.

rocky500

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think you'll be better off, long term, overall, by leaving them as-is.
Yes I will definitely leave them in. Was just wondering how many people actually remove them as they do not know any better. (Like I almost did)
Most bags I get with hard drives etc have the words "Throw away" on them, so just thought that was the thing to do, before Andy set me straight.
Maybe its just me by the sounds of it. :)