detached garage..i want to run my own cat6 to save money on my install

adamant118

n3wb
Reaction score
i have CAT6 1000FT OUTDOOR 23 AWG 550 CABLE DIRECT BURIAL and i like to run it into my detached garage to save some money on the security install price. i want to add to my alarm existing alarm and add for 4 cameras to my existing camera system. should i just run the cat 6 in the building and then branch it off with different wire for each camera and alarm points or run the cat6 to each alarm and camera point?

DavidDavid

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I'd run one line to a POE switch in the garage. Then you can run individual lines from the switch to each camera and anything else you want out there like maybe a wireless access point.

Do you by any chance have coax cable already running to the garage? I had one the PO ran from my basement to the barn and i was able to get my network out there (250ft from the house) really easily using this Amazon.com: DIRECTV Broadband DECA Ethernet to Coax Adapter - Generation II (2 Pack): Computers & Accessories

This won't work if you're using it for tv also, but i think there is a similar adapter that can transmit both signals although its a bit more expensive. Still easier than trenching a new conduit out there.

randytsuch

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
What are you planning for the alarm?
For my alarm wiring, every sensor is a couple of wires. The sensors are magnetic reed switches which close when they are by a magnet.

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
i have CAT6 1000FT OUTDOOR 23 AWG 550 CABLE DIRECT BURIAL and i like to run it into my detached garage to save some money on the security install price. i want to add to my alarm existing alarm and add for 4 cameras to my existing camera system. should i just run the cat 6 in the building and then branch it off with different wire for each camera and alarm points or run the cat6 to each alarm and camera point?
1) I prefer to run multiple wires directly to the building in case something happens to one. ( N +1, where N = number of ethernet lines you need. )
2) Also recommend putting it in conduit - as a number of people have reported creatures biting into cables.
3) If the distance is close enough I prefer 1 wire directly to each camera to reduce the requirement of adding additional equipment and thus decreasing reliability.