Devon lpr

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
i could use 4 lpr camera to cover up to 100m from 2 locations from each end 2 zoned in To cover the mid section and other 2 get the corners.
Lmk what you guys think from this angle. Shown in picture. I could move a bit forward and mount on a pole but now I am using a store roof. Which is at the end of the block. The area I wanna cover is highlighted.

Thanks for feed back

Attachments

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Your area marked in blue would probably be too tight of an angle to get high level of plates. If that is only parking spots, you may pick up a few more plates then, but you should try to keep the angle to less than 35-40 degrees.

The zoom is out way to much. Needs to be zoomed in so all you see is not much more than the car.

If you have a camera with a good zoom, the blue/silver car in the top left past your blue line would probably be your best angle and zoom in to where all you really see is that car in the shot. You may be able to expand some, but a LPR camera should only be used for LPR and not for wide angle overview coverage.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Your area marked in blue would probably be too tight of an angle to get high level of plates. If that is only parking spots, you may pick up a few more plates then, but you should try to keep the angle to less than 35-40 degrees.

The zoom is out way to much. Needs to be zoomed in so all you see is not much more than the car.

If you have a camera with a good zoom, the blue/silver car in the top left past your blue line would probably be your best angle and zoom in to where all you really see is that car in the shot. You may be able to expand some, but a LPR camera should only be used for LPR and not for wide angle overview coverage.
I don’t have a problem with getting a camera I just want to do this with a small budget I have. Please help

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The most economical camera most on this site use this camera. Now keep in mind it doesn't have an auto feature to pull the plates and put them in a database. You either look manually or figure out a way to use a a 3rd party.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
The most economical camera most on this site use this camera. Now keep in mind it doesn't have an auto feature to pull the plates and put them in a database. You either look manually or figure out a way to use a a 3rd party.

Hmmm is it better than HIKVISION DS-2CD7A26G0/P-IZHS if it is I can will buy the one u recommend. I see that it says about 200m

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
So the Loryta camera (which is a Dahua) has almost double the zoom capacity of the Hikvision you reference.

100m and pic up plates would be tough with either. Most have not been able to get consistent reliability with the Dahua at twice the zoom of the Hikvision at about 60m. The camera may be able to see 200m but for plates would be tough to identify.

Looking at your picture though, I don't think you are 100m just based on using cars as a reference of measurement.

Lot's come into the equation - height of camera, angle of camera to car, ambient light, etc. Your angle isn't ideal, so that may mean a closer distance needed.

Is that a parking lane? If so, one camera will probably not be able to get every spot. Now you could aim it to the front spot and then get the car as they go by, but you would need a wide angle camera to give you that overview in addition to a camera for LPR

The Hikvision is a great camera and has LPR decoding built in, so the ability to search by plates is a great feature the Dahua won't have and you might be able to get away with a wider viewing angle. But if you are fine with just needing to get pictures of the plates and not a searchable database, then the Dahua is the way to go and you could always connect with a third party later to perform that type of work.

The Hikvision though will pay for itself fairly quickly if you wanted to go with the 3rd party option - some of those programs can range from $5/month to $120/month plus per camera, so it can add up quick.

Looks like you are trying to cover a business, so the Hikvision would the capability built-in might be your better choice. You might be on the far end of its distance capabilities, so be sure to purchase from someplace you can return if it doesn't cut it.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
So the Loryta camera (which is a Dahua) has almost double the zoom capacity of the Hikvision you reference.

100m and pic up plates would be tough with either. Most have not been able to get consistent reliability with the Dahua at twice the zoom of the Hikvision at about 60m. The camera may be able to see 200m but for plates would be tough to identify.

Looking at your picture though, I don't think you are 100m just based on using cars as a reference of measurement.

Lot's come into the equation - height of camera, angle of camera to car, ambient light, etc. Your angle isn't ideal, so that may mean a closer distance needed.

Is that a parking lane? If so, one camera will probably not be able to get every spot. Now you could aim it to the front spot and then get the car as they go by, but you would need a wide angle camera to give you that overview in addition to a camera for LPR

The Hikvision is a great camera and has LPR decoding built in, so the ability to search by plates is a great feature the Dahua won't have and you might be able to get away with a wider viewing angle. But if you are fine with just needing to get pictures of the plates and not a searchable database, then the Dahua is the way to go and you could always connect with a third party later to perform that type of work.

The Hikvision though will pay for itself fairly quickly if you wanted to go with the 3rd party option - some of those programs can range from $5/month to $120/month plus per camera, so it can add up quick.

Looks like you are trying to cover a business, so the Hikvision would the capability built-in might be your better choice. You might be on the far end of its distance capabilities, so be sure to purchase from someplace you can return if it doesn't cut it.
I went out on bridge yesterday and it was not able to capture even 1 license plate at night.

Attachments

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score

I could do four cameras for the whole lane 2 zoomed in for mid
2 each corner
What do you think?
i just want to collect license plates for my data collection.
I also used dslr camera for it but result was not good.

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Oh so you have the camera already. It comes down to settings. You have two many things on auto. At night, your image should be all black and all you should really see are plates and head/tail lights unless there is a lot of ambient light.

You need to zoom in closer - basically not much more than a car should be in the frame ideally, although that camera may allow for a little wider.
No auto iris - that is allowing it to open up to let more light in.
Force B/W at night.
You need HLC on at night. Maybe a few others.
Turn noise down.

Try to capture plates during the day first, then tweak for night settings.

I took one of your photos and cropped it to about what your frame should see:

1590944471914.png

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
I am going out tmrw to take a video, since there is a curfew and looting in chicago I could not in past few days. Also work takes my time. I will definitely do it tmrw and update. Thank you so much.
I appreciate you help.

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
i could use 4 lpr camera to cover up to 100m from 2 locations from each end 2 zoned in To cover the mid section and other 2 get the corners.
Lmk what you guys think from this angle. Shown in picture. I could move a bit forward and mount on a pole but now I am using a store roof. Which is at the end of the block. The area I wanna cover is highlighted.

Thanks for feed back
The angle from the Khan BBQ to the shops across the street are too close for reading plates, your angle will be too great.

See this image.

c1.jpg

The point I have marked from the corner of your shop to the point on the road is 100ft.

The angle between your camera & the cars is about 22 degrees.

You would be able to read the license plates of cars going westbound, as long as the traffic going East don't block your view. You also have a turning lane there, which means cars waiting to turn will often block your view.

Are you going to be mounting the cameras under your low a awning or the higher up building roof? I assume from your photo you are going to mount to the higher building overhang?

Your lower awning is a little low and would be very easy for people to reach the cameras.

Mounting it higher on the building might also give you some 'reach' over some cars going eastbound.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
The angle from the Khan BBQ to the shops across the street are too close for reading plates, your angle will be too great.

See this image.

View attachment 63140

The point I have marked from the corner of your shop to the point on the road is 100ft.

The angle between your camera & the cars is about 22 degrees.

You would be able to read the license plates of cars going westbound, as long as the traffic going East don't block your view. You also have a turning lane there, which means cars waiting to turn will often block your view.

Are you going to be mounting the cameras under your low a awning or the higher up building roof? I assume from your photo you are going to mount to the higher building overhang?

Your lower awning is a little low and would be very easy for people to reach the cameras.

Mounting it higher on the building might also give you some 'reach' over some cars going eastbound.
Thank you so much I just finished work and headed to take a footage.
you might want to consider having the whole block under footage. once I take a video today I will get back to you.
I appreciate your help thank you so much.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yesterday I did an experiment over bridge and it was great once I zoomed in, I will update for roof footage tmrw or today.

Thanks everyone

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yes, you do want to zoom in as close as you can. Here is a shot from my ALPR camera, this is at a very high angle - much like you would have in your setup. It works OK, but the less angle the better.

377KLN Jun 5 @ 3 45 PM.jpg

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, you do want to zoom in as close as you can. Here is a shot from my ALPR camera, this is at a very high angle - much like you would have in your setup. It works OK, but the less angle the better.

View attachment 63259
Can you please send me the settings of your camera for day and night since mine is not capturing any LICENSE PLATE for some reason also can I know what camera you use?

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rahhazar , I do not currently do any night photos as I don't have any IR lights installed that can reach as far enough. During the day I do ALPR and and night that camera just goes back to its normal duty of watching over a parking lot.

The settings for day are generally very basic, one of the most important is the max shutter limit. See the attached photo of my settings.

maxwell.jpg

You should try with 1/1500 or 1/2000, if you set that value to slow then you will get blurry photos. When vehicles are moving and you are trying to freeze them you need a very fast exposure time.

You should concentrate on getting your daytime photos setup first. Get your angle, distance, zoom levels & camera settings figured out. Only after you have your daytime photos working well should you bother moving onto night. The big difference between day/night is the requirement of IR light. If you do not have massive amounts of IR light you will never get the camera to take a fast enough photo.

To take photos at night, cameras want to use a long exposure to suck up as much light as possible. Unfortunately with ALPR photos you need them to be fast, or they will be blurry. To get around that you need massive amounts of IR light.

Please post some photos of your daytime photos so we can see what you are getting and see what your issue may be.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
@rahhazar , I do not currently do any night photos as I don't have any IR lights installed that can reach as far enough. During the day I do ALPR and and night that camera just goes back to its normal duty of watching over a parking lot.

The settings for day are generally very basic, one of the most important is the max shutter limit. See the attached photo of my settings.

View attachment 63659

You should try with 1/1500 or 1/2000, if you set that value to slow then you will get blurry photos. When vehicles are moving and you are trying to freeze them you need a very fast exposure time.

You should concentrate on getting your daytime photos setup first. Get your angle, distance, zoom levels & camera settings figured out. Only after you have your daytime photos working well should you bother moving onto night. The big difference between day/night is the requirement of IR light. If you do not have massive amounts of IR light you will never get the camera to take a fast enough photo.

To take photos at night, cameras want to use a long exposure to suck up as much light as possible. Unfortunately with ALPR photos you need them to be fast, or they will be blurry. To get around that you need massive amounts of IR light.

Please post some photos of your daytime photos so we can see what you are getting and see what your issue may be.
is it better if I buy a good camera with high resolution and run license detection software on it? Or should I stick to lpr camera ?