Devon lpr

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
@rahhazar you do not need to purchase a high resolution camera, in fact a high resolution camera makes it harder for a computer to process because the images are large.

Most LPR systems like to work with images that are no more than 1080 in height.

My camera that I am currently using for LPR can do higher resolution, but I reduce the resolution down to 1080 so it is easier for the computer to process. If the computer can't process fast enough then it must skip video frames and will be less effective at accurately capturing license plate numbers.

If you are going to purchase a new camera, you need to purchase one with enough zoom that you can zoom into the area you want to capture the license plates.

Do you have any photos from your current camera & the location you plan to capture from? You can then determine if you need more zoom or not.

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the most economical camera most on this site use this camera. Now keep in mind it doesn't have an auto feature to pull the plates and put them in a database. You either look manually or figure out a way to use a a 3rd party.

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07RJQT9NB/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=z12+camera&qid=1590886965&sr=8-6

The Hikvision is a great camera and has LPR decoding built in, so the ability to search by plates is a great feature the Dahua won't have and you might be able to get away with a wider viewing angle. But if you are fine with just needing to get pictures of the plates and not a searchable database, then the Dahua is the way to go and you could always connect with a third party later to perform that type of work.

In other words, if you do not need the ability to have the camera process the image and dump it into a database, then go with the Z12 - it has the zoom and the IR needed up to 140 feet to 200 feet.

Given the images you have posted previously, I question if the Hik has enough zoom for you.

And as mentioned above, you really do not need anything more than 2MP. A LOT of gas stations still use analog cams for LPR. It is all about being able to operate the camera at a fast shutter speed with enough IR light to get the plate.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
@rahhazar you do not need to purchase a high resolution camera, in fact a high resolution camera makes it harder for a computer to process because the images are large.

Most LPR systems like to work with images that are no more than 1080 in height.

My camera that I am currently using for LPR can do higher resolution, but I reduce the resolution down to 1080 so it is easier for the computer to process. If the computer can't process fast enough then it must skip video frames and will be less effective at accurately capturing license plate numbers.

If you are going to purchase a new camera, you need to purchase one with enough zoom that you can zoom into the area you want to capture the license plates.

Do you have any photos from your current camera & the location you plan to capture from? You can then determine if you need more zoom or not.
Thanks for helping me out I appreciate it. I guess the zooming is enough for now. I will be shooting another video tmrw since the one I did today did not pic any plates. And update you with the pictures and stuff.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the most economical camera most on this site use this camera. Now keep in mind it doesn't have an auto feature to pull the plates and put them in a database. You either look manually or figure out a way to use a a 3rd party.

https://www.amazon.com/Loryta-IPC-HFW5241E-Z12E-Starlight-Network-English/dp/B07RJQT9NB/ref=sr_1_6?dchild=1&keywords=z12+camera&qid=1590886965&sr=8-6

The Hikvision is a great camera and has LPR decoding built in, so the ability to search by plates is a great feature the Dahua won't have and you might be able to get away with a wider viewing angle. But if you are fine with just needing to get pictures of the plates and not a searchable database, then the Dahua is the way to go and you could always connect with a third party later to perform that type of work.

In other words, if you do not need the ability to have the camera process the image and dump it into a database, then go with the Z12 - it has the zoom and the IR needed up to 140 feet to 200 feet.

Given the images you have posted previously, I question if the Hik has enough zoom for you.

And as mentioned above, you really do not need anything more than 2MP. A LOT of gas stations still use analog cams for LPR. It is all about being able to operate the camera at a fast shutter speed with enough IR light to get the plate.
Thanks a lot, regarding the range I would like to cover one side of the block with least amount of camera possible, I will be using creating a data base for myself but for now I need to have clear video with clear license plate so I could move to the next step. If you guys are interested you can reach me @7-7-3-four,five,four,9-2-4-7 so We could discuss things further in details.

coney27

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Your angle of attack is too sharp. You want it less than 30 degrees. Ideally the angle in your last picture should work but you also need to zoom in alot more. You should basically have the zoom set where the car takes up the entire picture.

And in the last picture your camera is focused on the tree and white foreground rather than the cars.

Attachments

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
You need to zoom in a lot tighter. You should basically just see a car in the frame.

You have a tough assignment - an angle on a multi-lane street with parking.

Your zoom should be to about just this in the frame - much more and it will be tough.

Given what you are trying to do, you might be better to try one of the higher end cams like what are used on tolls and such.

1592766968378.png

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
You need to zoom in a lot tighter. You should basically just see a car in the frame.

You have a tough assignment - an angle on a multi-lane street with parking.

Your zoom should be to about just this in the frame - much more and it will be tough.

Given what you are trying to do, you might be better to try one of the higher end cams like what are used on tolls and such.

View attachment 64289
Do you have a link for those camera to buy online?

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
Your angle of attack is too sharp. You want it less than 30 degrees. Ideally the angle in your last picture should work but you also need to zoom in alot more. You should basically have the zoom set where the car takes up the entire picture.

And in the last picture your camera is focused on the tree and white foreground rather than the cars.
I will use a truck roof to shoot the next video. If it give me hard time I will need to get a better camera. The problem is I want at least 3 to 4 cars length not a single car.

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
The problem is I want at least 3 to 4 cars length not a single car.
LPR is not going to reliably work to read 3 or 4 vehicles at once. If your camera view can see 3 or 4 vehicles, parked along that street in a single frame you are going to have problems.

Let me ask you this question. Are you trying to take images of plates that are driving down the street? Or are you trying to take images of the plates that are PARKED in the parking lane?

If you are trying to take images of cars driving, then you need to zoom down on a single spot - as close as you can zoom down on them.

If you are trying to take photos of plates of PARKED vehicles, you have the wrong setup. I have never done it, but I think you would need a PTZ camera, and have it constantly panning up and down the parked area. That would allow you to capture plates of all vehicles parked on the street with a single camera.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
LPR is not going to reliably work to read 3 or 4 vehicles at once. If your camera view can see 3 or 4 vehicles, parked along that street in a single frame you are going to have problems.

Let me ask you this question. Are you trying to take images of plates that are driving down the street? Or are you trying to take images of the plates that are PARKED in the parking lane?

If you are trying to take images of cars driving, then you need to zoom down on a single spot - as close as you can zoom down on them.

If you are trying to take photos of plates of PARKED vehicles, you have the wrong setup. I have never done it, but I think you would need a PTZ camera, and have it constantly panning up and down the parked area. That would allow you to capture plates of all vehicles parked on the street with a single camera.
Can you share a pic of what part of the street you think I could install the camera so it captures All plates on a street with single camera.

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You can't reliably capture all plates on the street with a single camera.

Please clarify your objective. Are you trying to capture all plates that drive on the street, or only plates that are parked?

wittaj

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
It will be tough to get every parked car at that angle - either a tree in the way or vehicles passing by blocking it at that angle.

Ideally it would be directly overhead where the cars pass underneath like tolls, but that is unrealistic in your setting.

I think @Robert G. has the best suggestion - a PTZ that scans presets of the parking spaces.

One fixed camera will not get all the spots you are trying to cover.

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Yep, a PTZ camera that is setup to move up and down your parked row of cars is the only thing I can think of. I've never tried it and I would imagine you are going to have problems of the same plate being recorded over and over.

For example if you have 4 cars in a row parked there.

ABC 123

DEF 456

FHI 789

JKL 012

Your camera would scan down the row and back again. Each time it would see the same plates over and over and you could record the same plate hundreds of times while it was parked there.

There may be a setting in some ALPR software to deal with this use case, but I'm not familiar with it.

Very difficult use case you are trying to accomplish.

Much easier to record every vehicle traveling down the street.

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
I have found this on YouTube. If I were to get a camera like this so I could spot out the places I want it zoomed. To give me clear image I will take care of the reading the plates myself.
Checkout the video please

coney27

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
You have unrealistic aspirations in using one camera for your LPR duties. As others have said before in this thread it is not possible with the recommendations given above. Either purchase 3 or 4 LPR cameras and mount them on a rig that goes over the street. But im sure your municipality won't sign off on it.

By all means invest in a 32mp camera that will cost you $10,000 to $20,000 and do the LPR work with your own eyes.

Robert G.

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
If I were to get a camera like this so I could spot out the places I want it zoomed. To give me clear image I will take care of the reading the plates myself.
Yes, that may be possible. If you want to manually review footage, you may be able to read the plates but your not doing ALPR then.

Last edited:

rahhazar

n3wb
Reaction score
You have unrealistic aspirations in using one camera for your LPR duties. As others have said before in this thread it is not possible with the recommendations given above. Either purchase 3 or 4 LPR cameras and mount them on a rig that goes over the street. But im sure your municipality won't sign off on it.

By all means invest in a 32mp camera that will cost you $10,000 to $20,000 and do the LPR work with your own eyes.
that may be possible, putting multiple camera sounds fishy and no where in USA will allow me to do so due privacy. I will dig more in having everything possibly in one camera if not 2 max. will update