DHI-NVR5216-16P-I firmware update / issue with emails and mobile push notifications

xxxlolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday, I updated my DHI-NVR5216-16P-I from an old 2019 firmware (v2.0.....) to the very last new firmware V4.002.0000000.1.R, Date version: 11/02/2022 .

The new WebGUI is a pleasure and I saw some nice improvement on the AI features and also alarms features.

Everything works well except emails that do not work anymore (tests are failing), but also mobile notifications. (on my mobile, it still says I am successfully subscribed but in case of an event, I still get no notification). So it looks the firmware changed stuffs in the network configuration and or new security menu. IF SOMEONE HAS ANY IDEA, PLEASE HELP ME :) :)

Except from that, I am able to access the NVR from outside as before, I have no issue with ports (80, 37777, 37778....), I see my cameras from the mobile, etc.

IPCamer

n3wb
Reaction score
@xxxlolo

Can you check for a setting called "disarming":
1655474290455.png
Disarming should be disabled,
For the push notification, Mobile Push Notifications should be enabled.
1655474724695.png

Screens can look different on your firmware version , but just check for the main items.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hi,

Yesterday, I updated my DHI-NVR5216-16P-I from an old 2019 firmware (v2.0.....) to the very last new firmware V4.002.0000000.1.R, Date version: 11/02/2022 .

The new WebGUI is a pleasure and I saw some nice improvement on the AI features and also alarms features.

Everything works well except emails that do not work anymore (tests are failing), but also mobile notifications. (on my mobile, it still says I am successfully subscribed but in case of an event, I still get no notification). So it looks the firmware changed stuffs in the network configuration and or new security menu. IF SOMEONE HAS ANY IDEA, PLEASE HELP ME :) :)

Except from that, I am able to access the NVR from outside as before, I have no issue with ports (80, 37777, 37778....), I see my cameras from the mobile, etc.
Be sure to perform a factory default after updating the firmware.
TIP: It's best to not update firmware unless you are trying to solve a problem, because this is what can happen or worse, other things get broken.
If it's not broken, don't fix it.

xxxlolo

n3wb
Reaction score
@xxxlolo

Can you check for a setting called "disarming":
Disarming should be disabled,
For the push notification, Mobile Push Notifications should be enabled.

Screens can look different on your firmware version , but just check for the main items.
Thanks a lot for the tipps but this is all correct.

I tried one thing after 3 hours research: putting 8.8.8.8 as the primary DNS (removing the DNS of my internet provider).
NOW EMAILS/PUSH/NTP are working !!

Very weird!!

Now it remains one issue: I am only able to attach 1 (before it used to be 10) pictures in the email for the alarm entry :s

xxxlolo

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like you got the email/push issue resolved, what about the number of snapshots?
Unfortunately the number of snapshot is only one :s And looking at updated dahuawikis and tutorials... I fear you now can only attach one channel snapshot. Big issue for me.

Next steps: going back to V4.002 from V4.001 (now that emails are working again).
I hope not to be forced to go back to V3.216 because of these snapshots emails :s

If anybody has any idea...

Best,

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Once you get back to a stable version, don't update lol. It usually breaks something working for you!

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Past experiences here are that if the unit is working for your needs (which based on your first post it was), updating it broke your emails and push notifications) that updating for kicks/grins/OCD rarely results in a positive experience.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need or bricks the camera. In most instances, updates are simply security vulnerability patches (usually years after the breach was found), but since we do not give our cameras internet access, the update is useless to us.

Here are issues I have seen people report here where they were upgrading just for the sake of upgrading:
  • A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind.
  • The Dahua 49225 and 49425 PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind.
  • The Hikvision DS-2DEA425IW-DW PTZ that loses autotracking with an update comes to mind.
  • A Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen.
  • A Hikvision ANPR DS-2CD4A26FWD camera that lost all ability to read plates - kinda makes the camera useless.
  • A Hikvision DS-2CD2347G2-LU camera that the user lost ability to control the LED light function at night.
  • A Hikvision wifi camera that loses the ability to use wifi after a firmware update.
  • Dahua 5442 that will not allow playback of the SD card.
  • DHI-NVR5216-16P-I NVR loses ability to email and send push notifications.
  • Countless other instances where the camera or NVR simply bricked and became useless.
  • Countless examples where the camera or NVR went into Chinese.
Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Now I recognize that you mentioned you got improvements on the GUI and alarms, but if that came at the cost of not getting push notifications, for many of us that would be a deal breaker!

xxxlolo

n3wb
Reaction score
It looks like you got the email/push issue resolved, what about the number of snapshots?
Hello Data1,

I went "back" to V4.002, successfully. I think AI is also better and will help reduce wrong IVS alarms I got once or twice per year...

Unfortunately for the alarm entry, and snapshots included in the emails, I am still able to only select one channel. Looks like since V4, dahua authorizes only one snapshot.
If some people here have a DH_NVR4XXX-4KS2_ or DH_NVR5XXX-I_ series with V4 firmware and ability to select multichannel snapshots, I would be very happy to hear more.

Best,

Laurent

Data1

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the NVR5216-16P-I and the NVR5216-16P-4KS2E although I haven't used the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 yet.

My NVR5216-16P-I has V4.000.10BE000.0 on it, but the NVR5216-16P-4KS2 is still in the box unused, so I'm not sure what firmware it has on it.

So far, I have to say that the NVR5216-16P-I is pretty impressive. The metadata (video structurization) is able to extract quite a bit of info. I don't have any dedicated license plate reading cameras, but if I aim a camera just right and the conditions are perfect, it will extract license plate numbers and put a cropped image of the license plate next to the thumbnail photo with the license plate number in the metadata text, so it is able to perform some ANPR type features with the ability to search by plate number or partial plate number. The results are quite unreliable with the cameras/mounting locations I'm using, but I imagine the results would be much better with a dedicated camera. Even my SD49425XB-HNR will read plates fairly well when zoomed in a bit to just the right spot.

Last edited:

xxxlolo

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello Data1,

Update on my side and also if it can help the dahua community.

I was able to force multiple snapshots attachement even if V4 firmwares do not authorize it (I got the confirmation by a dahua representative).
Do not use the local interface
Do not use the local web GUI interface

Use SmartPSS ! With SmartPSS, I have been able to select all channels in the snapshots for alarm entries.

Best,

Laurent