Did a rough power estimate of my Blue Iris system with 8 cams

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Not super scientific but checked the current usage of the POE switch at night with the 8 cams plugged in and IR turned on full blast. Then measured the current usage of the BI server. Total power was right at 100W. At 13.7 cents per kilowatt hour it came in at $120/year. $10 per month for added peace of mind....ain't bad at all. :cool:

Anyone else in here do a check on the impact to your power bill?

Last edited:

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I am fortunate to live in an area with some of the cheapest electric power in the USA (about 5.6 cents per kilowatt hour), so I don't worry about power consumption very much. My Blue Iris server, as in just the PC itself, runs in the 110-130 watt ballpark. It is a mini ITX built around an i7-8700K, with two hard drives and an SSD, and a GT 1030 graphics card to feed the 4K TV. There would be quite a bit of energy savings if I underclocked it or went with the non-K edition that doesn't clock as high in the first place, because clockspeed and power consumption do not increase linearly. Each step up in speed costs more power than the last one.

Of course, I also have a whole lot of cameras. 21 of them connected to one managed PoE switch which reports 75 watts consumption at night, plus 5 more connected to other switches, so about 100 watts for the cameras at night. Add in the few IR illuminators and power consumption of the network gear itself and we're probably pushing 130w again just like the BI server. So lets call it 260w total. That comes out to about 190 KW/h per month, or $10.64 at my rates.

All things considered, this is a cheap hobby. If I was into motorsports or something, I could easily spend an order of magnitude more on equipment and fuel both.

ctgoldwing

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I wish my electric rate was as low as either of you guys. Our kw rate is about $.22 all in (generation charge, distribution charge and monthly billing charge)