Did I exceed my wireless router?

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hello,

i am currently running BI..great program. I current have 5 wireless Ip cameras connected. They were very stable. I also have 3 hardwired cams. I went to add a 6th Camera and my wireless network having issues.... The sixth camera has been dropping out and the original 5 camera are complaining about poor frame rate . To make the 6th camera run I place a TP repeater in the poor signal location. I am making the assumption that I had killed the availble bandwidth on my my home router. I know the repeater will slow network- so maybe run that on new router?

Hardwiring the other cameras are a challenge or i would go that direction. Can I just set up 2 additional home routers with new ssid and wep keys and dump the output back into theunmanned switch?

Oh and some times BI CPU load can get to 99%....mostly idles arounf 40%...concerned?

If so how Do i set that up physically?

Thank you

hook3m

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
It sounds like it based on the symptoms you describe but impossible to tell with the information you provided. Are you running Wireless G,N, or AC? What bitrate are the cameras set at? You wouldn't need to add a new router, just a wireless Access Point with a separate SSID. Then split the cameras between the Router's wireless and the new AP. Not an ideal solution but it will work. Run cable if you can.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
okay mmmm....Currently Bi Show about anywhere from 220kbps...and 3kbps most are around 45 kbps on the 5 cameras. So I have a wireless routers d-link and belkin I think... So i set them up like a Wireless access point with router function off? never done that before -can you point me in direction for info?

Thank you

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Try increasing the receive buffer to 20mb...video>configuration>receive buffer...for each camera...
What model cameras do you have? This issue is common with foscam/clone cams...
as far as you cpu, are you using direct to disk recording? if not, this will significanly lower your consumption..
What model cpu? what is the resolution of your cameras?

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
@Killer Kool

There are a few noteworthy things in your description.

First, 5 wireless cameras is a lot. Many users can't even manage that before the problems arise and bury them. So consider yourself fairly lucky already.

You say you installed a wireless repeater. These basically double the bandwidth usage of any connected device because everything the repeater receives it must retransmit. It is probably causing more harm than good when used with a camera. Luckily most repeaters can also perform the role of an ordinary access point. See if you can wire it to your router with network cable and have it act as an access point instead of a repeater. Also set it to a different channel and give it a different SSID so you can manually choose which network each camera connects to. For reasons of channel overlapping that I won't go into here, on 2.4 GHz WiFi you should only ever use channels 1, 6, and 11, and never any of the channels in between.

You should not try to set up more home routers. Use "Access points" instead.

Ubiquiti Unifi is a good choice of access point if you are reasonably competent with networking. You can install as many of these as you want, but they work best when they are all wired back to the network. The only problem really is they can't be configured with a web interface. You have to install Unifi controller software on one of your PCs to set up the wireless network(s).

Powerline networking gear may help you position the extra access point(s) in ideal places, or better yet you might be able to wire the cameras directly to your network using powerline adapters, thereby reducing the WiFi load and eliminating the need for more access points while also being more friendly to your neighbors and having better WiFi performance.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I second fenderman's comment about needing to use direct to disk recording. That is the usual culprit in sometimes-high-cpu-usage cases. Enable that on all cams in Blue Iris.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Ok well I have 2 Foscam FI 9804 one of those is the new 6th camera..2 of the Foscam FI9821W V2 - 1 DBPower ptz - Easyn ptz clone.........The rx buffer are set mostly at 1.5mb some at 3mb..max BI is 20mb[h=1][/h]

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I have also a while back setup the direct to disk recording

- - - Updated - - -

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
amd a8-5600k APU with Radeon HD graphics 3.60 GHZ installed 24gb memory 64bit operating system

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
amd a8-5600k APU with Radeon HD graphics 3.60 GHZ installed 24gb memory 64bit operating system
The processor is not very powerful but is more than sufficient for your low load...24gb of memory is serious overkill..it should not be hitting 99...ensure BI is excluded from your virus scan (see help file under networking)

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Well I thought the processor being tri cores was good..... So the Ubiquiti Unifi is a good choice of access point... Seems interesting... So basically I extend at network caable from my orginal unmanaged switch.. perform a setup on the Ubiquiti Unifi and it will extend overage. Does it also provide another SSID? any perfered model-UAP?

Thanks

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
[h=1]EnGenius ECB350 N300a these any good? anyone use these ap's?[/h]

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
Well I thought the processor being tri cores was good..... So the Ubiquiti Unifi is a good choice of access point... Seems interesting... So basically I extend at network caable from my orginal unmanaged switch.. perform a setup on the Ubiquiti Unifi and it will extend overage. Does it also provide another SSID? any perfered model-UAP?

Thanks
Yes, except you configure all the Unifi access points through the controller software which you install on a PC. (the controller software can either be left running always, or turned off or even uninstalled once the access points have their configuration). You can run multiple SSIDs with the Unifi system, or you can make them all share the same SSID. Hard to say which approach would distribute the usage best.

I would recommend just the simplest base model of Unifi AP (which I linked). I use two of them in my own house. 2.4ghz-only access points without 802.11ac may be a little dated, but your camera streaming won't benefit from a dual band access point or 802.11ac anyway so you can save some money. Also the 802.11ac models are currently overpriced due to short supply. The one alternative model you might benefit from is the long range version: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H4CDF4 but they cost significantly more and the higher transmit power may only serve to create worse RF reflections.

DemonicHawk

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Can I just set up 2 additional home routers with new ssid and wep keys and dump the output back into theunmanned switch?
Not only is WEP extremely insecure, but it will limit your wireless throughput to a maximum of 54Mbps - even if your router is capable of more. The first thing I would try is changing the encryption to WPA2 and enable WMM (if it isn't enabled) and then see if you still have issues.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Not only is WEP extremely insecure, but it will limit your wireless throughput to a maximum of 54Mbps - even if your router is capable of more. The first thing I would try is changing the encryption to WPA2 and enable WMM (if it isn't enabled) and then see if you still have issues.
Sorry I am running wpa2-psk and wmm is active ... Current router in a netgear WNR3500Lv2 .

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
Current router in a netgear WNR3500Lv2 .
Wow, I am actually surprised you are managing to run even 3 wifi cams on this router which looks like 6 year old technology, unless they are not HD cams. If you absolutely want to utilize wifi, consider getting better router instead of repeaters.

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
EnGenius ECB350 N300a these any good? anyone use these ap's?...... Or are the Ubiquiti Unifi heads and tails better?

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Wow, I am actually surprised you are managing to run even 3 wifi cams on this router which looks like 6 year old technology, unless they are not HD cams. If you absolutely want to utilize wifi, consider getting better router instead of repeaters.
yes they are HD cameras. So a better router? really? Is the current one really that bad? Running 6 hd cams ! ...I was thinking it was more of rf limitation - I know a repeater kills the signal- but doesnt adding AP's increase the usable bandwidth?

klasipca

Banned
Reaction score
yes they are HD cameras. So a better router? really? Is the current one really that bad? Running 6 hd cams ! ...I was thinking it was more of rf limitation - I know a repeater kills the signal- but doesnt adding AP's increase the usable bandwidth?
I never said it was bad router, but it's an old 2.4Ghz band N300 router and with repeater you are just reducing bandwidth. I can't imagine running 6 HD (are they 1080p cams at 10+ fps?) cams in this setup. Even if it's the case I doubt having anything else on wifi will be running at decent speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

Killer Kool

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I never said it was bad router, but it's an old 2.4Ghz band N300 router and with repeater you are just reducing bandwidth. I can't imagine running 6 HD (are they 1080p cams at 10+ fps?) cams in this setup. Even if it's the case I doubt having anything else on wifi will be running at decent speeds.
Well i am not in love with that router- but it has been good. I am trying to understand if the limitation is the processor in the router - or the limitiation on bandwidth of the RF.. about have are 1080 and the other 720 set at 25fps and 1 at 30fps. The actual FPS have dropped after adding the last camera and the tp repeater/booster. But with out it I cannot connect to it. If I need to replace router that is understandable for a faster processor(maybe)- but most of cams run at 2.4ghz right?!?