Did something change? Limit Clip Size not working

Discussion in 'Blue Iris' started by tsutton, Sep 11, 2017.

Share This Page

  1. tsutton

    tsutton n3wb

    Joined:
    May 26, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Since the last few versions including the latest version, I have noticed that my approx. 29 days clips has disappeared into 3/4 days worth of archive.

    I have now since played around with the settings and I now can't get it to work again. :*(

    So, this is where I need your help.

    HDD is 465GB.

    Under "Clips and archiving", I have this as:

    Limit size: 10GB
    Limit clip age: 30 days
    Move to folder: Stored

    But that did not work. I have turned off the 29 days limit, leaving the Limit size enabled, but that did not work as well. All it could do was to keep about 3-4 days worth of archive!

    What else am I missing? Or have I come across a bug?

    Thanks,
     
  2. tsutton

    tsutton n3wb

    Joined:
    May 26, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
  3. fenderman

    fenderman Staff Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2014
    Messages:
    19,873
    Likes Received:
    4,137
    There was an issue with files not being moved for some in recent versions...try the latest and see if its resolved...also, there is no reason to have separate folders based on time, unless you have multiple drives and then you would use space rather than time for limits....just dump everything into a single folder
     
  4. tsutton

    tsutton n3wb

    Joined:
    May 26, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    I store all clips/alerts on the same HDD. I assume I can ditch Storage and keeping New & Alerts, based on what you've said?

    I'm still puzzled on the "Limit size" - do I set it to as close to how much my HD has?

    For example, the HDD is 465GB - do I set the Limit Size to 450GB? Or do I do it the other way round and set it to 10GB, so it will use up the whole 450GB, leaving with 10GB of free space?

    Thanks,
     
  5. fenderman

    fenderman Staff Member

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2014
    Messages:
    19,873
    Likes Received:
    4,137
    you will want to leave 5 percent or so free....set it to 450...
     
  6. tsutton

    tsutton n3wb

    Joined:
    May 26, 2016
    Messages:
    25
    Likes Received:
    0
    Cheers, will set it and go from there, hopefully will resolve the issue I had.
     
  7. xkpmg

    xkpmg n3wb

    Joined:
    May 25, 2017
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I suspect that recent versions have a bug. I'm on 4.6.0.4 x64 and have been running out of clip storage diskspace for the last 1-2 weeks. It was fine for the last one-two years with no problems, but in recent weeks i keep getting Windows "running out of diskspace" alerts every few days...which lead to finding that my alert/new disks are showing overallocation errors and clips are not being moved to the "stored" disk.

    New - 2000GB allocated
    Alerts - 200GB allocated
    all on a SSD (disk "Z") that has 2.79TB capacity free

    Stored - 3000GB allocated
    on a HD (disk "P") that has about just under 6TB free capacity.

    I tried a couple times already to - 1) delete all clips; 2) delete all clips in the New, Alerts directories; 3) rebuild the DB.

    Afterwards in all the directories and DB are empty and starting from scratch. 2-3 days later the drive where the "New" directory is located (disk Z) starts to show Windows "running out of diskspace" and there's ~2.79TB of clips on the drive. The Clips status window shows over-allocation beyond the ~2.2TB allocation i set.

    Going to change all the New/Stored directories to be pointed to a new empty HD and all pointed to one single same directory. I guess I'll find out if this changes anything in a couple days - not optimistic & not expecting it to work any different.
     
  8. bpratt

    bpratt n3wb

    Joined:
    Aug 31, 2017
    Messages:
    9
    Likes Received:
    2
    Been a bug in it since 4.6.0 causing the out of disk space problems.

    All updates to 4.6.0.4 still exhibit this bug.

    Have just updated to a new 4.6.1.0 and hoping this is the fix.... I guess I'll soon find out.