Did you seal your IR illuminator to avoid rain/moisture?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Looking around at several IR illuminators on Amazon I noticed a fair number of complaints about moisture issue within the enclosures. The problem doesn't seem limited to just one brand. HERE is the style of IR illuminator I'm seeing a lot of moisture complaints. Other brands in these rectangular enclosures styles have similar complaints. Just checking to see if you made an effort to seal your brand new IR illuminator and what did you use?....clear silicon caulk?...or maybe you just tightened the screws on the enclosure?

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Ive got that 200ft model as well as two of the smaller AI4's and never sealed them. Been up and running 2 years in Floriduh downpours.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
This one and many similar are rated IP66 which is supposed to withstand high pressure water exposure which is a higher standard than heavy wind driven rain. Not sure why it seems so hit and miss with the feedback comments from customers. The only thing I could think of is that the screws should be torqued down as they may be loose from shipping or a weak hand installed them at the factory.

Last edited:

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
This one and many similar are rated IP66 which is supposed to withstand high pressure water exposure which is a higher standard than heavy wind driven rain. Not sure why it seems so hit and miss with the feedback comments from customers. The only thing I could think of is that the screws should be torqued down as they may be loose from shipping for a weak hand installed them at the factory.
I have gotten into the habit of checking screw tightness on outdoor fixtures. Too many times I run across an item that the screws were barely "hand tight". Even on some Dahua Cameras.

I purchased IPCT's own IR illuminator a while back, set it up out in the open. The first good rain the glass was fogged over. I took it apart, and the barrel that held the glass in was not "tight" in the least. I poured a couple of oz's of water out of it. Now, everything gets checked. ;)

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I just received one off of Amazon. All the screws needed a bit more tightening. Hopefully, will not leak now.