Dielectric grease for the rj45 plugs

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Hi everyone
Im looking for a Dielectric grease for my rj45 plugs of my cameras
I found this in Aliexpress:
Asked the seller if it good for rj45, he said No.
Im not sure if it's true or the seller is not really know what the product is..

Thanks in Advance :)

MyDaHua

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
For all my cameras I used grease for car battery six month ago and no problems until now.
I tested first in switch.

bug99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
TO assist and help debunk much of the confusion historically around this topic, Dielectric grease is simply silicon grease. It is an insulator to electricity. Many people think that it "improves" contact resistance by lowering it. It does not. It also does not prevent it from conducting as could be expected being an insulator, and this is because it is displaced by the contact force between the metal parts (M-F). The big thing that it does is prevents corrosion on and between the contacts, which would dramatically increase contact resistance over time and prevent short circuits from water between adjacent contacts and to ground. To really see its benefit first hand, a good test is to place a multiconductor (ie RJ45) mated connector in a cup of lightly slated water. If there is no dielectric grease (ie silicone) the part will short out in the salty water. the same part will not short out if the contacts are properly covered with grease, but will pass the data through the 8 wires properly.

I like Permatex and Dow and 3M versions of grease.

On a related note, i wonder what others use as a process for cleaning oxidized RJ45 contacts both on the male and female side?

Jomsha

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I think i'll go with Permatex
Thank you all :)
Yes. Im gonna use this to weatherproofing the plugs as much as can. And i will use coax seal tape on top of it for extra safety.
About the using for corrosion cleaning, It's an interesting topic I want to know about also

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
DeOxIt might work to clean corroded connectors.
Just ordering some, I didn't know what to use for cleaning some contacts that have corroded a bit. Thanks so much, I'd never heard of that product before!

My methods prior were an eraser or a bit of fine sandpaper on a tip of a precision screwdriver...

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Been there, done that, with the eraser and 600 grit. Problem is that the pins have a very thin layer of gold plating that abrasive cleaning removes too easily.

Old Timer

Known around here
Reaction score
Just make sure it does not have vinegar smell to it. If so, it can corrode your connection.
I have found some silicon grease in connectors that ruined the connector.

If it can be used for dielectric like spark plug wires, it will be fine.
I like the PTFE stuff like the big antenna makers use like Andrews Celwave, comscope, etc.
They use it on connections way up in the air and it must work reliable for 20-30 years.

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Just make sure it does not have vinegar smell to it. If so, it can corrode your connection.
I have found some silicon grease in connectors that ruined the connector.

If it can be used for dielectric like spark plug wires, it will be fine.
I like the PTFE stuff like the big antenna makers use like Andrews Celwave, comscope, etc.
They use it on connections way up in the air and it must work reliable for 20-30 years.

Supelube is not dielectric

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I bought the CRC dielectric grease 3.3oz few weeks ago. But it's blue cap bottle instead of the red cap bottle. Don't know much difference between them or not.
The blue cap is "marine" grade, the red cap "technician" grade; same ingredients, just minor differences in flash points, maybe some others.....basically the same product. Just a hunch that the marine grade costs more.

FWIW, CRC Industries has been making excellent cleaners for automotive, electronic and electrical maintenance for at least 50 years that I know of.

Last edited: