Difference between Dahua North America and Dahua International?

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading for awhile but am pretty new here. A bit of background, I've been using an 8-camera 720p analog Lorex system from Costco. I love the Flir Cloud PC and Android UIs, but it's time for better quality cameras and I would like to set up about 20 cameras that we pre-wired the house for. I bought GW Security, Reolink, and SV3C cameras (the 5 MP SV3C was the best), but none of them achieve the quality I'm looking for so they all got sent back (except the SV3C, it's now our backseat baby monitor in the car). I'd like to spend $70 - $130 / camera. I then discovered this forum, and from reading it sounds like Dahua delivers the best value (the sample images look great). Correct me if I'm wrong, although I don't know if we should open that can of worms here :)

Thanks for your patience through my introduction. Looking at Dahua's website, you can choose a region at the top, including North America or International. This choice brings up totally different product numbers. For instance, the North America N44BB33 appears to be pretty much identical to the International IPC-HFW4431E-S. Reading this forum, everybody seems to use the IPC (international) part numbers. What's the difference though? Any reason to go after one over the other? Is it simply that the international versions can be acquired at lower cost? Thanks!

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
They are the same. In fact if you look at the firmware of US & International hardware they are the same. The US will all be NTSC while the international versions will be PAL. The International website lists both for at least the cameras I have but only the International PAL firmware for my NVR. I flashed all of the International hardware to the NTSC firmware. So for example, N24BG52 / N24BG53 (Its firmware: USA/IPCamera/Pro/N24BG52 - Dahua Wiki) is the same as IPC-HDW4231EM-AS | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology & DHI-NVR52A16-16P-4KS2 (its firmware: USA/NVR/Pro/DHI NVR52A16 16P 4KS2 - Dahua Wiki) is the same as NVR5216/5232-16P-4KS2 | Dahua Technology - Dahua Technology.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello, I've been reading for awhile but am pretty new here. A bit of background, I've been using an 8-camera 720p analog Lorex system from Costco. I love the Flir Cloud PC and Android UIs, but it's time for better quality cameras and I would like to set up about 20 cameras that we pre-wired the house for. I bought GW Security, Reolink, and SV3C cameras (the 5 MP SV3C was the best), but none of them achieve the quality I'm looking for so they all got sent back (except the SV3C, it's now our backseat baby monitor in the car). I'd like to spend $70 - $130 / camera. I then discovered this forum, and from reading it sounds like Dahua delivers the best value (the sample images look great). Correct me if I'm wrong, although I don't know if we should open that can of worms here :)

Thanks for your patience through my introduction. Looking at Dahua's website, you can choose a region at the top, including North America or International. This choice brings up totally different product numbers. For instance, the North America N44BB33 appears to be pretty much identical to the International IPC-HFW4431E-S. Reading this forum, everybody seems to use the IPC (international) part numbers. What's the difference though? Any reason to go after one over the other? Is it simply that the international versions can be acquired at lower cost? Thanks!
most of the great images you see are not from the 4mp 1/3 sensor cams...they are the dahua starlight low light cameras...see threads...big difference.

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Has anybody made a cross-reference table of which USA firmware version will run on which international version? I'd be concerned about thinking that a given firmware is the corresponding version, but then accidentally bricking the camera.

I have been mainly looking at the starlight cameras, but did run across this thread that really talks up the IPC-HFW4431R-Z, and I like that it seems to be small compared to the starlights.

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
That is a Chinese version NOT International. If the model isn't listed on the International website then it is a Chinese version. I would recommend staying away from those models.

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Ah, I assumed this was the international version, thanks for the clarification and advice. Just curious, why avoid the Chinese versions? Is it harder / impossible to put North American firmware on them? Or is the hardware subpar in some way?

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Ah, I assumed this was the international version, thanks for the clarification and advice. Just curious, why avoid the Chinese versions? Is it harder / impossible to put North American firmware on them? Or is the hardware subpar in some way?
both...

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Welcome Patterrr!

You're in for some fun! I had similar questions when I started reading here, and there's a lot to learn.. so

It's easy to get swamped with information here, so I wanted to share some notes with you

Please check out @giomania 's notes:
Dahua Starlight Varifocal Turret (IPC-HDW5231R-Z)

I have also made notes which are a summary of a lot of the reading I've been doing here,:
Looking for some advice and direction!

Have fun joining us here.

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score

Also, it can take 6 months to a yr for new models to filter into the US market after they are available in the International versions.

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks Mat200! These threads are full of detailed information; it's hard to find high-level stuff for newbies, so the two posts you linked are super helpful. Great summary of information! I hardly have time to read the threads of interest, much less 170+ page threads, so thanks for the pointers. The IPC-HDW5231R-Z has been at the top of my list based on what I've read, and the information you pointed me to confirmed that. I think I'll buy a handful of them next and start playing around with different locations.

BTW, the link to the POE splitter forum is EXACTLY what I need, along with a bunch of other items you pointed out - it's like you knew exactly what my questions were!

patterrr

n3wb
Reaction score
Oh one other thing - in addition to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, I was looking at the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE. The only difference I notice is that the IPC-HDW5231R-Z has a motorized lens; is that correct?

Probird79

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Oh one other thing - in addition to the IPC-HDW5231R-Z, I was looking at the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE. The only difference I notice is that the IPC-HDW5231R-Z has a motorized lens; is that correct?
Correct. IPC-HDW5231R-Z is a verifocal lens that can be adjusted from 2.7mm-12mm and the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE is a fixed lens with your choice of 2.8mm, 3.mm, or 6mm lens (specify when you order). Also note that IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE is a little smaller than IPC-HDW5231R-Z and each of them use a different mounting bracket/junction box.

EMPIRETECANDY

IPCT Vendor
Reaction score
Correct. IPC-HDW5231R-Z is a verifocal lens that can be adjusted from 2.7mm-12mm and the IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE is a fixed lens with your choice of 2.8mm, 3.mm, or 6mm lens (specify when you order). Also note that IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE is a little smaller than IPC-HDW5231R-Z and each of them use a different mounting bracket/junction box.
You also can check IPC-HDW5231R-ZE, this one has wider lens, and now this camera all working good now.