Different zones based on the time?

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Using all dahua turret cams, image quality is awesome, rig is running sub 20% utilization all the time. My issue is that the sensitivity/contrast settings that work by day give me a LOT of false positives by night because of headlight wash on the street in front of my house. Daytime, I want to record the sidewalk, nighttime, just my porch---no wash on there.

I can't, for the life of me, figure out how to make this happen. Is it possible?
Setup:
Zone A: all of everything I ever want to monitor
Zone B: just the porch deck area and in a little bit, takes a pic and sends me a text. Someone is ON THE PORCH.
Zone C: what I WOULD monitor over night---just the whole porch.

No schedule in place, I never want it to NOT monitor. Is it possible to configure zone by time? Pics available if they'll help. Thanks!!

Also: network receive buffer, is this kept in RAM? I'm sitting on 16 Gigs in this machine and can't make BI use more than 2 no matter what I do.

Last edited:

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Each Profile allows different Zones. Do you have Profiles for Day Evening and Night with the setting needed for those times? Then a Global Schedule can change to the correct Profile at the correct time.

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Each Profile allows different Zones. Do you have Profiles for Day Evening and Night with the setting needed for those times? Then a Global Schedule can change to the correct Profile at the correct time.
Oh! That makes sense. I was trying to set profiles based on time but I couldn't seem to sort out HOW. The googles gave me nothing, either. I will try again!

So if I'm understanding, I set the profile settings in the CAMERA first and then set a global schedule to switch profiles? I may have been trying to do it backwards.

Also---nested question, My zone B is totally enclosed in zone A. Zone B sends me a text for a specific area. The thing is that the text isn't firing because A is alerting, subject walks through the A zone to the B zone but the A is still active so the B doesn't fire the text. How do I manage that?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Not quite sure what you are trying to do with the zones. Usually zones a, b, c..... are their own areas. This needs to be the case if you are using zone crossing.

Maybe more detail or a screen shot would help to understand.

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I got the schedule sorted out. I was making it more complicated than it needed to be. Thanks for the heads up there. I nixed the global schedule in favor of individual schedules---I was "Drawing" wrong. IT kept resetting to "active" when I made changes, but I got it.

Here's my issue. I want to monitor a large area for motion capture. See picture:

I want to monitor a smaller area of the same screen for instant notification, see that zone B is entirely inside of zone A:

Here is the alert as configured:

I BELIEVE that since Zone A isn't configured to "also re-triggers", what's happening is that Zone A is firing motion capture, which is working just fine---but because zone A has caused a motion capture event, the zone B "send me a picture text" alert isn't firing (because the zone A cap is taking place). I can't set Zone A independently of Zone B on this screen inside the same profile, right?

One more unrelated question, on the scheduling, the sunrise/sunset variable is grayed out no matter what I do. Is this because I'm still demo version?

anijet

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've never used zones/alerts that way so don't really know. I think it would work to eliminate area B from zone A. I don't see a benefit by having it in both zones if you want zone B to alert. I think A and B can both trigger but only B alert.

From the help file: If your time is within 30 minutes of sunrise or sunset (as configured on the Options/Schedule page), you may specify the time to remain relative to this event. For your convenience the current sunrise and sunset values are displayed here. Note, your lat and long must also be set.

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
But that's the pickle---I don't want a text from all the activity in A because it's a lot of activity. If someone's on my porch, I want to know. And yes, they both trigger---but B can't trigger if A is already triggered.

I'll fiddle more with the timing stuff. Thanks.

Edit: Oh man, I'm dumb. That was easy. I wasn't dragging the pins, I was drawing with the pencil. Easy peasy.

Last edited:

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Hey @GreyTheOld : I made a video on ways to use Zones/Hotspots - Check out the video especially @ 2:55 and see if that helps. If not let me know and I'll see if I can help :D

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Hey @GreyTheOld : I made a video on ways to use Zones/Hotspots - Check out the video especially @ 2:55 and see if that helps. If not let me know and I'll see if I can help :D
Dasstrum---sorry for the slow reply. I'd actually already watched your video, and I watched it again now, and that's really basically what I did. Watch a BUNCH in zone A, watch a smaller section in zone B, and then only alert in zone B. The issue is that, for whatever reason, it's not firing the alert consistently. Should zone B not be over top of zone A? Like should zone B be exclusive of zone A?

Dasstrum

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter if the zones overlap if your not using zone crossing rules. Under alerts make sure you have "Also retriggers" selected. If you do not have also retrigger checked then the camera will not alarm if the camera is already in a triggered state from zone A

GreyTheOld

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
It shouldn't matter if the zones overlap if your not using zone crossing rules. Under alerts make sure you have "Also retriggers" selected. If you do not have also retrigger checked then the camera will not alarm if the camera is already in a triggered state from zone A
Yep, I've got that. I think I've got some processsing lag but I'm not sure where it's coming from. CPU is sitting at 17-30% usage. I've noticed sometimes as I learn this software that it seems cameras will hang, and then deleting and readding them fixes it. I've kinda redone most of it this AM, we'll see what happens now.