Digital IO Contactor

willylam

n3wb
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am new to Blue Iris, what I like to setup is that in front yard and backyard with motion trigger light and open the gate.

So when someone walk near door it will trigger a relay to on the and another relay to open gate. How do I about this which brand of IO board that can be used for my BL pc?

Thanks

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Simple Blue Iris Output using Shelly1 Wi-Fi Devices

In case someone is interested, I recently performed a simple output with Blue Iris v5 using a Shelly1 Wi-Fi smart switch. I chose the Shelly1 because it is tiny, not expensive, very configurable, don’t require their cloud for local operations, are UL-approved and I needed to start somewhere! This is my first venture into such devices, as I had disconnected my two Alexa Echo Dots in 2020 after realizing our household was being listened to...but that’s another thread.

The Shelly1 can operate from and switch 120VAC to 240VAC or when properly configured, 12VDC or 24 to 50VDC. The relay contact inside the Shelly1 is a ‘dry’ contact, meaning it can switch DC or AC loads up to 15A @ 240VAC. Note that on the input, the switch will apply the same voltage that is applied as the device operating voltage. It should be no problem to operate the coil of an external, higher current relay or contactor with it. However, if you do that I would consider a Quencharc® (an R-C snubber) across such an external relay coil to suppress EMI and voltage transients generated as the field of the coil of the larger, external relay collapses.

I like the fact that I can choose to operate the device on 12VDC, including the device I’m switching. If you’re like me, you likely have a small 12VDC wall wart for an IP or old analog camera around that will power the Shelly. Refer to Figure 1.
Figure 1.jpg
Printed instructions come with the Shellys about logging into the device’s webGUI as it comes up in its default AP mode, broadcasts a Wi-Fi SSID and has a default IP address. FWIW, there’s a PDF available here .

Configuring the Shelly1

Change the wireless NIC on a PC, wireless tablet, or phone to a static IP of 192.168.33.3, subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 then look for the Shelly AP’s unique Wi-Fi SSID (like “shelly1-DBE8D6840144”) being broadcast and log into it, no password initially (you can configure that later).

Now open a browser and log into the Shelly’s embedded webGUI at 192.168.33.1, no authentication needed initially here as well, you can also configure that later.

Assuming you want to bind the Shelly to your local Wi-Fi, first log into each Shelly, go to “Internet & Security”=> “WIFI MODE - ACCESS POINT” and UNcheck “Configure Shelly device to create WiFi Access Point and you can connect to its network”. Refer to Figure 2.
Figure 2.jpg
Next, go up to "WIFI MODE - CLIENT" => "Connect the Shelly device to an existing WiFi Network", type in your local Wi-Fi’s SSID and password, assign each Shelly a unique static IP in your LAN’s subnet with subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and click on “SAVE”. Refer to Figure 3.
Figure 3.jpg
Return to the wireless NIC network settings of the device you used to log onto the Shelly when it was in AP mode and broadcasting an SSID, change the device’s IP from the static 192.168.33.3 back to what it was.

Now open a browser, type in the IP of the Shelly you assigned it and if all was configured properly the webGUI of that Shelly should open. From this point forward you will open a browser in this manner to perform its configuration.

OUTPUT from Blue Iris to Shelly1

First, I configured an alert from a specific camera in BI to send a HTTP command to the Shelly1 that CLOSES its relay and turns ON a lamp for a timed period. For that timed period I chose to use BI’s alert timer “Wait” function even though the Shelly1 also can provide a timer function. Then after the “Wait” period times out, another HTTP command is sent to the Shelly1 to OPEN its relay, turning the lamp OFF.

Go to “Camera Settings” => “Alerts”, under “Actions”, click the “On Alert” button.
Under “Action Set”, click on the “ + “ button to create a new “Web request or MQTT”. For the HTTP to be sent to the Shelly1, enter its username and password (if configured), its IP address and the rest of the URL as in:
Code:
“username:password@192.168.1.213/relay/01/?turn=on”
Then click on the “OK’ button to save.
Refer to Figure 6.
Figure 6.jpg
I then created a “Wait” action for 10,000 ms (10 seconds) so the Shelly1’s relay would stay CLOSED keeping the lamp ON for 10 seconds before moving to the next action.
The next action is to OPEN the Shelly1’s relay and turn the lamp OFF as follows:
Create a new “Web request or MQTT”; for the HTTP to be sent to the Shelly1, enter its username and password (if configured), its IP address and the rest of the URL as in:
Code:
“username:password@192.168.1.213/relay/01/?turn=off”
Then click on the “OK” button to save.
Refer to Figure 7.
Figure 7.jpg
You should have 3 entries under “Action Set”:

#1 (first) is a “Web request or MQTT” to CLOSE the Shelly 1’s relay and turn the lamp ON.
#2 is a “Wait’ action for 10,000 milliseconds.
#3 (last) is a “Web request or MQTT” to OPEN the Shelly 1’s relay and turn the lamp OFF.

Last edited: