Digital PTZ and De-fisheyeing video footage

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
It would be great if Blue Iris would add support for fisheye cameras such as Digital PTZ and splitting a fisheye stream into multiple different views to seem as if you had 5 cameras when you really only have one. The people I work for are wanting to use PTZ cameras instead of fixed cameras to view multiple locations, which is obviously a no no because you can only record one place at a time. I showed them what a Geovision 360 Fisheye camera could do (which is a lot), but unfortunately the only video Blue Iris can get is the regular fisheye image, which is very unpleasing to the eye.

Here is the model camera I'm looking at purchasing.
Amazon.com : GeoVision GV-FE2301 2 MP H.264 WDR Fisheye Internet Protocol Camera : Dome Cameras : Camera & Photo
GeoVision Inc. GV-FE2301 2MP H.264 Fisheye IP Camera - PoE, WDR, Tracking, ONVIF Profile S

This video highlights the features Blue Iris needs. (Skip to about 3 minutes in)

• Around 7:12 he mentions a really useful feature.

As far as picking how many camera views you want, it'd be best to be able to drag to select a view and have as many as you need.

I don't really agree with 4 different views only taking up one channel.

Thanks for reading and considering. Even some of the most basic features discussed in here would be great to have added to Blue Iris to make it even better security camera software than it already is.

Last edited by a moderator:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I doubt that that the eptz will ever be implemented. Depending on how the camera sends the image you can use the AOI area of interest function to split a single camera image into 4 distinct cameras...
The developer does not read the forum so you should email your request to him.

Chust

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I doubt that that the eptz will ever be implemented. Depending on how the camera sends the image you can use the AOI area of interest function to split a single camera image into 4 distinct cameras...
The developer does not read the forum so you should email your request to him.
This is exactly what I do! Just wish Ken would make the digital zoom for the AOI better. Doing this this way has saved me from having to put up three additional cams so far! But, like I say, the digital zoom needs some work for the AOI to be a great feature. I e-mailed Ken about it but I don't think he understood me.:laugh:

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial on how to use the AOI? It'd be great if Chust could show me how it looks before we spend $400 on a camera to find out the only way to view it is the 360 fisheye image.

Does it have problems with the quality of the images when they are split? We plan on buying either a 2MP or a 4MP.

Last edited by a moderator:

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Is there a tutorial on how to use the AOI? It'd be great if Chust could show me how it looks before we spend $400 on a camera to find out the only way to view it is the 360 fisheye image.
All AOI is going to do is break the image down to multiple sections....you will need a camera that defishes the image internally (not sure which ones do which) rather than the software doing it...you wont get the full benefit of the camera unless you use their software...unless there is an aesthetic reason you are way better off with 2-4 cameras ....you will capture much better images with individual cams.

kaamady

n3wb
Reaction score
As an eBay Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
We need at least 15fps. We don't want to miss anything. Do you have ay experience with that camera? If I can buy cheaper and know that the products works great, then I will.
Nope, I would have one if Blue Iris supported fisheye dewarping (such that I could make it into a panorama camera) but as you know it does not. Fisheye dewarping is fairly difficult, especially when you consider how many different ways people will want to use them. I for instance would not care for ePTZ or multiple virtual cameras. I would want the whole picture in a very wide panoramic frame. And then even if Blue Iris implemented dewarping for one type of fisheye cam, it would not necessarily be optimal for every fisheye due to the different optical characteristics between camera models. And then it takes an entirely different way of thinking if you plan on wall mounting one instead of ceiling mounting. You can actually get away with not dewarping at all if you wall mount one in the proper orientation on a wall.

15 FPS vs 8 FPS does not really gain you much. Things don't happen that fast.

What you'll be missing with a fisheye cam is the ability to recognize people who are far away from it. They are really not even close in terms of the detail you would get compared to a standard fixed camera with a field of view ~100 degrees or less.