Direct burial Cat6 above ground?

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I'm running direct burial Cat6 today. It will be buried until it reaches the tree where the camera will be installed. The tree is in shade and gets no direct sunlight. Will running the Cat6 up the trunk 6' without conduit be okay? Thanks

kklee

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have direct burial cable run on the side of my house (in direct sunlight) for over a year and no issues so far. Squirrels haven't touched it (they like climbing on the stucco, one scared the daylights out of my wife once by peeking in through a 2nd story window).

flynreelow

Known around here
Reaction score
I'm running direct burial Cat6 today. It will be buried until it reaches the tree where the camera will be installed. The tree is in shade and gets no direct sunlight. Will running the Cat6 up the trunk 6' without conduit be okay? Thanks
yea, would only be worried about animals. maybe small paintable conduit would look nice, and not be super expensive.

sebastiantombs

Known around here
Reaction score
Remember that trees grow in diameter as well as height. I've got two tree mounted cameras and have the cable in LiquidTite from the PVC underground. I originally just used two hole clamps to hold the LiquidTite but the trees got bigger every year and started crushing the LiquidTite. I made brackets out of 1/2"x1" aluminum bar stock and used them to mount the two hole clamps. Even they will need adjustments in another year or so but no more crushing at least.