Direct Burial CAT6 splice kit

climb.on

n3wb
Reaction score
I am building my house and I have a 2 direct burial CAT 6 lines buried near my building that got hit with a shovel. One is cut badly and another has the insulation nicked (have not tested it yet), but I presume it is damaged as well. These are long runs that go out to the end of my driveway and I took great care to keep them in one piece with no splices. One shovel swipe by an over paid teenager spoiled those plans. I almost smacked the kid with the shovel myself, I was so steaming mad.

The cut is about 2 feet from the building, so I can repair it with just one splice by pulling slack from the building.

What is the best strategy for splicing these cables underground? I have used underground gel filled splice kits for high voltage cable, but never for data. I''m thinking I should I put connectors on, plug them into a coupler, and seal it up with a gel based splice kit. Am I on the right track? Any advice?

climb.on

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe, but it's not happening. A splice is the only option right now. Looking for advice on the best way to splice.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Is it possible to pull up more slack from the non-building end, enough to make it to a wall, mount weatherproof NEMA box on wall, pull some more from the building (enough to make it into box also) and install the above RJ-45 to RJ-45 coupler inside that box? It would help guarantee it's longevity against moisture and/or corrosion and most important, make it accessible in the future since it IS a mechanical connection.

That would save using that gel-filled splice kit over this coupler. Could be overkill, but it was just a thought....

climb.on

n3wb
Reaction score
No slack available from the dirt side. Only the building side. I wish I could make the splice out of the ground, but I cant.

climb.on

n3wb
Reaction score
Yes, I like that coupler. By itself I don't think it would be adequate for underground use (outdoor yes, but not underground), but that coupler enclosed in an underground gel filled splice kit...it should work well.

Last edited:

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Yes, I like that coupler. By itself I don't think it would be adequate for underground use (outdoor yes, but not underground), but that couple enclosed in an underground gel filled splice kit...it should work well.
I agree and I'd do the same thing.

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here. Is the cable in a PVC pipe? If not why bother? Would splicing a new patch of cat6 by soldering each pair on both sides and glue coated heat shrink do the job?. It is going to fail anyway in the future and not precisely where the new splicing is made.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something here. Is the cable in a PVC pipe?
Perhaps the OP will clarify but I understood his first post to say "direct burial CAT 6" and "hit with a shovel" and never read anything to have me believe it was in a pipe, conduit, etc.

It is going to fail anyway in the future and not precisely where the new splicing is made.
What makes you think that?

Last edited:

SirVenom

n3wb
Reaction score
Apologies, did not know this was the exterior-grade type cat6. No conduit needed underground.

Perhaps the OP will clarify but I understood his first post to say "direct burial CAT 6" and "hit with a shovel" and never read anything to have me believe it was in a pipe, conduit, etc.

What makes you think that?

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
Something to consider is to use a small NEMA 6P junction box. Stub out 6 inches or so of 3/4 conduit to run your 4 pieces of CAT 6 through. Put your outdoor splices in the box. Use a very good waterproof caulk to completely fill the conduit so as not to allow water intrusion. For extra protection you can caulk around where the conduit enters the box and around the door of the box. Bury everything a few inches deep. You should not have any trouble.

By the way, I use gel filled CAT6 cable with schedule 40 conduit. The conduit is not there to keep water out but for mechanical protection. Also if you use conduit always use direct burial cable since water finds ways to enter the conduit or accumulates through condensation.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Something to consider is to use a small NEMA 6P junction box. Stub out 6 inches or so of 3/4 conduit to run your 4 pieces of CAT 6 through. Put your outdoor splices in the box.
This is pretty much what I suggested in post #5 above, but OP replied that he could not obtain enough slack from the "dirt" end (non-building) of the cable to do so.

By the way, I use gel filled CAT6 cable with schedule 40 conduit. The conduit is not there to keep water out but for mechanical protection. Also if you use conduit always use direct burial cable since water finds ways to enter the conduit or accumulates through condensation.
Agreed. Conduit is great mechanical protection. I've even used non-gel filled, outdoor-rated (water & UV-resistant) CAT-5e for many years underground with no issues.

Last edited:

GCoco

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I understood he could not reach a building. He has all the cable he needs to bury the box away from a building.

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I understood he could not reach a building. He has all the cable he needs to bury the box away from a building.
Understood. My bad.

I have confidence that the OP will decide which method is a quick, inexpensive and reliable purpose-designed solution that meets his needs.