Disable Motion Detection Triggers at NIGHT-HEADLIGHTS?

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Do most of you disable motion detection at night because of constant false triggers because automobile headlights are sweeping across your lawn, driveway and the vehicles in your driveway?

I'm new to setting up triggers and I played around with zones. At night everytime a vehicle drives down the road past my house the headlights sweep across about 1/3 the end of my driveway/lawn that's closest to the street and I get triggering.

It's like BI needs artificial intelligence to be able to figure out what should trigger and what should not trigger....I guess I'm the AI for BI...so I'm in trouble...LOL! And, I have been looking at the BI tutorials.

I can only imagine what's going to happen with thunderstorm-lightning season starts up in Central Florida.

I went ahead and set the Reset Detector to 10% so we'll see if that help or if I don't get triggers at all. This is on 2MP cameras (1920x1080).

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Do most of you disable motion detection at night because of constant false triggers because automobile headlights are sweeping across your lawn, driveway and the vehicles in your driveway?

I'm new to setting up triggers and I played around with zones. At night everytime a vehicle drives down the road past my house the headlights sweep across about 1/3 the end of my driveway/lawn that's closest to the street and I get triggering.

It's like BI needs artificial intelligence to be able to figure out what should trigger and what should not trigger....I guess I'm the AI for BI...so I'm in trouble...LOL! And, I have been looking at the BI tutorials.

I can only imagine what's going to happen with thunderstorm-lightning season starts up in Central Florida.

I went ahead and set the Reset Detector to 10% so we'll see if that help or if I don't get triggers at all. This is on 2MP cameras (1920x1080).
With proper setup you can virtually eliminate the false alerts you need to read the help file and watch the instructional videos. You dont need to disable motion if you dont want to get alerts, you can simply disable alerts from that specific camera. BI is working on integrating AI as discussed in the latest whats new thread.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I too am struggling with headlights triggering alerts.

Have made some changes per forum suggestions but still was receiving lots of notices. So, for now, motion is still enabled on all cams but have disabled notifications from the outdoor cams (left notifications enabled for indoor cams). Recording remains 24/7 on all cams.

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it's gonna take A LOT of work to figure out the right settings to avoid headlight triggers but still get triggers for people walking onto the lawn/driveway consistently at night. I'm guessing you'd need a night time profile just to deal with this. I haven't looked into it yet but I imagine BI should be sophisticated enough to be able to activate the night time profile according to sunrise/sunset but with the option for something like "15 minutes after sunset until 15 minutes before sunset" or something to deal with twilight time.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I run a day profile, and a night profile. At night I run zone A out to where the headlights stop, and zone B for areas I still want to record motion but have headlight sweeps. In alerts on night profile I remove checkmark from B, so headlights don't wake me up but someone walking closer to the house will. I have black & white checked on night profile. I have the object detection scene change for lighting set around 28% too. Headlights were one of my biggest challenges early on but I've got it down to a few falses a night with zone placement, zone crossing rules on cams where nothing can sneak in the side of zone A. I'm always learning new things.

Sent from my SM-S767VL using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
Did checking the BLACK & WHITE option help with the headlight triggering problem? Any luck with HIGH DEFINITION or GAUSSIAN algorithm?

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I set mine to gaussian and think it helped

No doubt there is lots of opportunity for fine tuning but I'm concerned a few of the cams see such intense, large area, relatively long duration wash it's a really big challenge.

Sybertiger

Known around here
Reaction score
I don't even want to think about thunderstorm season...Central Florida, lightning capital of the USA. Starts in May ends in October. Now you are talking about bright flashes that can happen day or night. Big challenge gets BIGGER!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
From what I can tell, it's gonna take A LOT of work to figure out the right settings to avoid headlight triggers but still get triggers for people walking onto the lawn/driveway consistently at night. I'm guessing you'd need a night time profile just to deal with this. I haven't looked into it yet but I imagine BI should be sophisticated enough to be able to activate the night time profile according to sunrise/sunset but with the option for something like "15 minutes after sunset until 15 minutes before sunset" or something to deal with twilight time.
yes blue iris allows for a relative to sunrise sunset settings. It doesnt take a lot of work. You can test a video through the motion detector. You need to spend some time with the help file and videos.

Whoaru99

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I don't even want to think about thunderstorm season...Central Florida, lightning capital of the USA. Starts in May ends in October. Now you are talking about bright flashes that can happen day or night. Big challenge gets BIGGER!
At this point I'm thinking I might be inclined to trade that for the fairly busy East-West Avenue that is adjacent to and runs parallel to the long axis of my property. The 4-way intersection with all the headlights and "rolling stop" brakelights not helping either. Oh well...no plans of moving so deal, right? LOL.