"Disconnect Network is error" every two minutes!

LesB

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi. I have a Nightpro four channel H.264 dvr viewable over my home lan using CMS software on my Pc. I only use two channels and it works ok except that it freezes every couple of minutes for a minute or two and I can see "Disconnect network is error" in the log until it recovers. I have had the system running for the last couple of years and experienced that very occasionally and maybe for only a few seconds at a time. I could live with that. Clearly what I am experiencing now is unworkable. I think the DVR is working fine as there are no freezes on the local monitor. I have changed the IP address to see if that helps at all and I can't see that it made any difference. Looking at other devices on the router it doesn't appear I have IP conflicts.

The viewing PC is in an office about 30m from where the router and dvr are located. I've changed the cable in case it was the issue and the new one is cat7. I fitted a new switch in the office. I just today fitted a new router too! Nothing has improved. Drop outs every couple of minutes.

Any idea why that is happening. And while I'm at it, is the generic CMS software the only thing I can use? Is there something better available?

Thanks, I need all the help I can get!

Attachments

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Can you provide a diagram showing network devices, distance and location?
I ask because I wanted to suggest you run directly from PC to router, temporarily bypassing that switch.

There's no wireless involved, right?

LesB

n3wb
Reaction score
Can you provide a diagram showing network devices, distance and location?
I ask because I wanted to suggest you run directly from PC to router, temporarily bypassing that switch.

There's no wireless involved, right?
Thanks for your input Tony. However, and I'm hoping I haven't spoken too soon but I think I cracked it! Not for the first time I have dragged the DVR out of the cupboard and taken it apart. First time was just to change the battery out for a new one as the date wasn't being held. This time I dragged it out and pulled all the internal connections to the board and hard drive. Worked the connectors on and off a few times before putting it all back together. So far I have only one entry on the log; 'Connect successful'. It's only been fifteen minutes but not a single disconnect!! Previously I'd have had about four or more by now. Time will tell but for now, fingers crossed.

It's always possible of course that my misfortune and action to hopefully resolve this will benefit someone else some time.

Thanks for being here for me guys, it's been emotional :)

LesB

n3wb
Reaction score
Is anyone using an alternative to the CMS I have? See attached photo. It's ok but could be better!

Attachments

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
FYI from the picture in post #1 it looks like every 2 seconds, not every 2 minutes.

LesB

n3wb
Reaction score
To clarify - it recovers in 1-2 seconds from that pic
I agree it looks like that, but even after the 'recovery' the picture remained frozen for about ten seconds or longer. Anyway, it's fine now so it's all ended well. I needed a new router anyway as my old one was not that great. And the additional cat 7 cable to the office is useful too.

guykuo

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have repaired several routers and switches that became unstable after four or five years service. The problem? Electrolytic capacitors failing. One or two bucks of parts and back in action.

LesB

n3wb
Reaction score
I have repaired several routers and switches that became unstable after four or five years service. The problem? Electrolytic capacitors failing. One or two bucks of parts and back in action.
Interesting. Hoping for the moment it's just a connector thing though :)

Joe Conti

n3wb
Reaction score
Sadly I have been having the same problem as you have and to date, have found no solution. Have you done any progress?