Disconnection issues, firmware update?

eexodus

n3wb
Reaction score
I have a few HikVision DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 cameras with different OEM branding so the models show up as: DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 but also DT2A404 and HNP104-IR/4X. How do I update their firmware? I've tried downloading the latest 5.7.1 firmware but get a firmware mismatch error when trying to upgrade the cameras (including the DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3). All models are on 5.6.11, 5.6.12, or 5.6.14 so I don't know why they'd come up with mismatch. Does anyone have any suggestions? I know its not typically recommended to upgrade firmware unless their is an issue but I'm concerned about the recent backdoor vulnerabilities (they are on a no-Internet network) and two of my cameras are having severe issues that factory resetting has not helped.

I have a DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 and a DT2A404 that have been constantly disconnecting since a network upgrade. I initially thought it was related to the network upgrade but I don't think so anymore because I swapped one of the broken cameras with a working one from one room to the other and the problems followed the camera. Connected to Blue Iris the cameras constantly disconnect. When they disconnect their webpages don't load. Its not a network issue because if you ping the cameras they never get signal loss. Even when they are working Blue Iris shows their connection at 50 to 200 kB/s while all others are at around 750 kB/s. Changing from 1080p30 to 720p30 didn't help, neither did factory resetting. The only thing I haven't tried is taking them apart to see if there is any physical factory reset switch or successfully getting them updated firmware.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
It sounds like it could also be a power issue. I would confirm that before you potentially brick a camera.

You may have a camera that cannot be updated.

A common theme around here is don't fix what ain't broke. If the unit is working and meets your needs, in many instances an update breaks what you had working and provides you with something you didn't need. A Dahua Z12E that someone updated and then constantly reboots comes to mind, and a certain Dahua PTZ that loses autotracking with an update come to mind, a Hikvision ANPR camera losing half the FPS and loses the ability to read US plates - those are big deals to have happen. Don't do it unless it is fixing a problem you are experiencing or adds a feature you really need.

Further, it is best to obtain any firmware updates from the vendor you purchased it from so that you do not run into issues. Any firmware you find here or elsewhere is obviously proceed at your own risk. We have many threads here where someone tried an update with a firmware they found on the internet and bricked their unit.

Many units being sold are Chinese hacked units that will either brick or go into Chinese upon updating. Some vendors will be upfront and tell consumers that as part of their website, but many do not or the consumer forgets...here is one such example....

1636416363664.png

garycrist

Known around here
Reaction score
"I have a DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 and a DT2A404 that have been constantly disconnecting since a network upgrade. "

So why fix the cameras?

eexodus

n3wb
Reaction score
"I have a DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 and a DT2A404 that have been constantly disconnecting since a network upgrade. "

So why fix the cameras?
I confirmed the issue is with the camera not the network differences by changing a known working camera with one of the broken ones and seeing the issue followed the broken one.