Display weirdness when using H264 with hardware accelerator

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been using Blueiris for a couple of months now with 1 camera (Dahua starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z) on a dedicated Gigabyte Brix (i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 8Gb memory / 120Gb SSD) with Windows 10 LTSB 2016. Files are stored/moved after a couple of days to my NAS. I use BVR direct to disk.

CPU usage is around 11% (1080p, 10pfs, CBR 4096Kb/S, I-frame every 10 frames) when using H.265. Everything is well.

When I switch to H.264H in order to get hardware acceleration (no VPP), the CPU usage drops to 3 - 4%. However, after some time (hours), the video gets distorted. Either moving parts in the image get weird color distortion or some horizontal distorted lines appear. The distortion is not in the feed (looking directly at the Dahua app). Even worse, the distortion is not only displayed but also recorded. This makes the H264 mode not reliable. However, maybe there's a fix someone can recommend to investigate? The computer uses a integrated Intel® HD 4400 graphics that supports quicksync. I've already downloaded the latest drives from Intel.

Thanks for any advise,

Ralph

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi all, I've been using Blueiris for a couple of months now with 1 camera (Dahua starlight IPC-HDW5231R-Z) on a dedicated Gigabyte Brix (i3-4010U 1.7GHz / 8Gb memory / 120Gb SSD) with Windows 10 LTSB 2016. Files are stored/moved after a couple of days to my NAS. I use BVR direct to disk.

CPU usage is around 11% (1080p, 10pfs, CBR 4096Kb/S, I-frame every 10 frames) when using H.265. Everything is well.

When I switch to H.264H in order to get hardware acceleration (no VPP), the CPU usage drops to 3 - 4%. However, after some time (hours), the video gets distorted. Either moving parts in the image get weird color distortion or some horizontal distorted lines appear. The distortion is not in the feed (looking directly at the Dahua app). Even worse, the distortion is not only displayed but also recorded. This makes the H264 mode not reliable. However, maybe there's a fix someone can recommend to investigate? The computer uses a integrated Intel® HD 4400 graphics that supports quicksync. I've already downloaded the latest drives from Intel.

Thanks for any advise,

Ralph
use standard h.264 not H

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my only options are H.265 and H.264H from the Dahua management interface. So I stick with H265 i guess.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Hmm, thanks for the reply. Unfortunately my only options are H.265 and H.264H from the Dahua management interface. So I stick with H265 i guess.
it should work regardless...I just looked at mine and the newer firmware only has the h.264H option...I use these cams with h.264H no issues, you have something else going on...ensure latest drivers - if you have an OEM installation of windows it will say that you have the latest when you dont. update to latest BI and install all windows updates. Ensure smart codec is off.

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Today I did a clean new install of Windows 10 Enterprise (latest version, 1703, with all updates) and BlueIris 4.5.9.7 x64. No other software on the box. Same result, see attachment. There is something strange going on, especially with moving parts.

Attachments

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I've never had this problem with mine.

Hardware acceleration enabled in Blue Iris, no VPP (VideoPostProc).

Since your corruption is appearing in recordings too, then chances are a bad stream is coming out of the camera one way or another. I don't usually say this, but try an iframe interval that is 2x the frame rate and see if that makes it better or worse.

Mr White

n3wb
Reaction score
Have you checked the frame rate in blue Iris is at least 2 more than you have set on the camera? I had similar issue once and this was the problem for me.

Do you have local record option at the camera on sd? If so maybe check if it's the same there.

Hope it helps

molimelight

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
Here's my settings. It's not a starlight but maybe it will help...
dahua.jpg

RJ90210

n3wb
Reaction score
Thanks all for the suggestions. Over the last week I tried and experimented with I-frame rates, maximum frame settings in BI and other things. I have not found a reliable H264 solution (in my setup). I can confirm that the Dahua feed is fine (by looking at the live Dahua app and looking at the camera-stored footage).

With all the testing, I get the impression that there is a relationship with playing back footage and the footage get screwed. What I mean is this. Starting point is H264 recording (t = 0 mins). No issues with the live feed for a couple of hours (t = 180 mins). Now I replay an alert or some recorded footage (either on the BI app or at the machine itself). That's often the moment when the colored distortion appears (thus also appearing in the footage between 0 and 180 for some parts) and stays permanent. The color distortion is also often on moving areas of the images. All with all, I think there is some syncing issue somewhere in the chain, triggered by a replay event. On H265 I have no issues (other than higher CPU usage of course). I will keep investigating.

Reaction score
I am having exactly the same issue with a Foscam PTZ camera and trying to resolve the issue as well. Stream is fine and no ghosting at all and then as soon as I turn on the Intel Hardware 264 i get the ghosting in the image. If I turn it off its fine. If I check the feed from the camera in a browser its fine.

I have the frames set to 15ps and the iframe to 15 and I have the Max frame set in BI to be 15 as well.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I am having exactly the same issue with a Foscam PTZ camera and trying to resolve the issue as well. Stream is fine and no ghosting at all and then as soon as I turn on the Intel Hardware 264 i get the ghosting in the image. If I turn it off its fine. If I check the feed from the camera in a browser its fine.

I have the frames set to 15ps and the iframe to 15 and I have the Max frame set in BI to be 15 as well.
The browser does not perform hardware acceleration...if the h.264 feed is not standard or problematic HA wont work right...make sure you dont enable vpp....

Reaction score
I had a Foscam C2 1080p camera inside the house, that would not cooperate in BI whenever Hardware Acceleration was enabled. Turned off Hardware Acceleration, and video was fine, except it cost more CPU%.

Jepong

n3wb
Reaction score
I have the same issue with 7 of my dahua 4231’s. My hikvisions all work fine

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have the same issue with 7 of my dahua 4231’s. My hikvisions all work fine
ensure the camera is not set to use a smart codec...it should work with dahua just fine...what exact version of BI are you using.