DisplayPort vs HDMI....

MacFun

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
Many of the recommended business class PCs suggested for BI have DisplayPort video output and no hdmi port. I’m told that this can be adapted and I see that passive cables are available as well (DisplayPort to hdmi). If you’re buying a new PC the third port can be configured as hdmi (instead of vga). So, is it optimal to have an actual hdmi port on the PC hardware? Are there any issues at all adapting DisplayPort to hdmi?

Thanks,

Robert

Valiant

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I've had no issue connecting from DP on a PC or NVR to a monitor with a HDMI input using a single cable (DP to HDMI). From what I understand, just don't expect it to work the other way around (HDMI on a PC to DP on a monitor).

There's no reason to specifically order a HDMI port on the computer.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Many of the recommended business class PCs suggested for BI have DisplayPort video output and no hdmi port. I’m told that this can be adapted and I see that passive cables are available as well (DisplayPort to hdmi). If you’re buying a new PC the third port can be configured as hdmi (instead of vga). So, is it optimal to have an actual hdmi port on the PC hardware? Are there any issues at all adapting DisplayPort to hdmi?

Thanks,

Robert
it makes absolutely not difference...use an DP to HDMI cable, its a digital signal. All the adapters and cables are passive.