Distribute cameras images to other locations

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. I currently have 5 cameras (not that the # of cameras matters).
I would like to have a few other locations in the house that can display the images I see on the monitor connected directly to my BI computer. Is there a way to do this? If so how?

Thanks!

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have a dedicated PC running Blue Iris. I currently have 5 cameras (not that the # of cameras matters).
I would like to have a few other locations in the house that can display the images I see on the monitor connected directly to my BI computer. Is there a way to do this? If so how?

Thanks!
The most reliable way to do this is using hdmi over ethernet products (tripplite makes some nice units)...This allows you to run the image to a nice large monitor with no wifi issues..
Camera display settings on TV
Want to see your household monitoring pics (tablet, TV, monitor in kitchen, etc.)

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Thanks to both of you!

I have read about bp2008's program. It did say it used a lot of resources. Wasn't sure machine got the heavy usage, I assume the client? I admit I don't understand computers all that well but do manage to eventually get things working with the help of folks like you.

I will research fenderman's suggestion. I like the idea of a distribution system that is independent of my network. TV distribution I understand. :)

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Reporting back on the solution Fenderman recommended. I finally got around to installing it and it works great. I may be at about the limit for the remote monitor or my monitor is too fussy.

I'd estimate about 150 foot run from house to detached garage. CAT-6 runs from mid-point in finished basement, up and out back of house (under back porch) then down under back stairs to conduit buried underground, in the garage it travels up the wall, across about 20' of attic then down into the garage. I have the EQ setting on the receiver set to 7, out of a range of 0-7. Once in a while the image will blank but come right back, but it only happened a few times. I think it may be the monitor, Samsung SyncMaster S24B300. I have 2 of these. When one is at the remote location displaying an image, I could not get the local one, connected to the loop-through HDMI on the transmitter, to display an image. I disconnected the local one and connected a Dell monitor, it displayed an image right away.

I'm gong to try hooking up the other Samsung in my bedroom on my night stand. Easy to turn the monitor on if mysterious events should occur. :)

I bought the 4 port unit because it had HDMI loop-through for a local monitor. I also bought the amplified receiver with 2 outputs, could have gone with one output and saved a few dollars.

Very happy. Thanks Fenderman!

4-port Transmitter Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 4-Port HDMI over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender Splitter, Transmitter for Video and Audio, 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-004): Home Audio & Theater
Active receiver/splitter (2 outputs) Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 2-Port HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 Active Extender/Splitter, Remote Receiver for Video and Audio, 1080p @ 60 Hz, Up to 200-ft. (B126-2A0): Home Audio & Theater
Single output extended range active receiver Amazon.com: Tripp Lite HDMI Over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender, Extended Range Receiver for Video and Audio 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-1A0): Home Audio & Theater

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
Reporting back on the solution Fenderman recommended. I finally got around to installing it and it works great. I may be at about the limit for the remote monitor or my monitor is too fussy.

I'd estimate about 150 foot run from house to detached garage. CAT-6 runs from mid-point in finished basement, up and out back of house (under back porch) then down under back stairs to conduit buried underground, in the garage it travels up the wall, across about 20' of attic then down into the garage. I have the EQ setting on the receiver set to 7, out of a range of 0-7. Once in a while the image will blank but come right back, but it only happened a few times. I think it may be the monitor, Samsung SyncMaster S24B300. I have 2 of these. When one is at the remote location displaying an image, I could not get the local one, connected to the loop-through HDMI on the transmitter, to display an image. I disconnected the local one and connected a Dell monitor, it displayed an image right away.

I'm gong to try hooking up the other Samsung in my bedroom on my night stand. Easy to turn the monitor on if mysterious events should occur. :)

I bought the 4 port unit because it had HDMI loop-through for a local monitor. I also bought the amplified receiver with 2 outputs, could have gone with one output and saved a few dollars.

Very happy. Thanks Fenderman!

4-port Transmitter Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 4-Port HDMI over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender Splitter, Transmitter for Video and Audio, 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-004): Home Audio & Theater
Active receiver/splitter (2 outputs) Amazon.com: Tripp Lite 2-Port HDMI over Cat5/Cat6 Active Extender/Splitter, Remote Receiver for Video and Audio, 1080p @ 60 Hz, Up to 200-ft. (B126-2A0): Home Audio & Theater
Single output extended range active receiver Amazon.com: Tripp Lite HDMI Over Cat5 / Cat6 Extender, Extended Range Receiver for Video and Audio 1920x1200 1080p at 60Hz(B126-1A0): Home Audio & Theater

So I realize this is a 4-5 years old post but could you send me a diagram of how this got done? I have the exact same thing I want to do in my storage facility where I want to place a dedicated monitor/TV by the entrance and display the camera feeds of the cameras that are located outside so that people exiting the facility know what's out there before they open the door. The BI computer is about 50 feet from where the monitor needs to be.

Thanks
Sam

As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't have a diagram but the products linked explain how to hook up the components. You can see the diagrams on Amazon when you search for the products.

You have to feed the transmitter an HDMI signal from your security system (Blue Iris PC, Hikvision recorder, etc). You may need an HDMI splitter in order to "create" another HDMI connection from your security system.

Plug the HDMI cable into the transmitter. The transmitter (Tripp lite B126-004) has 4 CAT outputs.

Run a Cat 5,5e,6 to your destination, plug it into the receiver and connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to your monitor. I ran one to my bedroom (about 40-50 feet) so I have a monitor should I hear a noise at night :) and another out to my detached garage (I turn this monitor on whenever I am in the garage. love it!). I think that run was about at the limit but it does work (likely more than 100'). The receiver has an adjustment that you turn to get the signal (it's dependent on the run length). When adjusting, give it a few seconds before moving to the next setting, it may not sync right away. For me, it eventually did sync. Keep noise generators (e.g. bluetooth transmitters and other RF generators) away from the cat5,5e,6 coming into the reciever, they don't have to be that far away, but I had a bluetooth transmitter pretty close and it messed with the signal coming in over the cat6.

It's works really well! I love it, and I mentally thank fenderman for his advise (almost) every time I go out to the garage. :)

It's a pretty simple way to get your security monitor images to other locations. I think it goes without saying but I will say it anyway, what you are creating is another monitor, you have no control of the images (rewind etc) from these locations. You have to go to the monitor that is connected directly to your recorder.

Good luck, but you shouldn't need much, it's really that simple.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
I don't have a diagram but the products linked explain how to hook up the components. You can see the diagrams on Amazon when you search for the products.

You have to feed the transmitter an HDMI signal from your security system (Blue Iris PC, Hikvision recorder, etc). You may need an HDMI splitter in order to "create" another HDMI connection from your security system.

Plug the HDMI cable into the transmitter. The transmitter (Tripp lite B126-004) has 4 CAT outputs.

Run a Cat 5,5e,6 to your destination, plug it into the receiver and connect an HDMI cable from the receiver to your monitor. I ran one to my bedroom (about 40-50 feet) so I have a monitor should I hear a noise at night :) and another out to my detached garage (I turn this monitor on whenever I am in the garage. love it!). I think that run was about at the limit but it does work (likely more than 100'). The receiver has an adjustment that you turn to get the signal (it's dependent on the run length). When adjusting, give it a few seconds before moving to the next setting, it may not sync right away. For me, it eventually did sync. Keep noise generators (e.g. bluetooth transmitters and other RF generators) away from the cat5,5e,6 coming into the reciever, they don't have to be that far away, but I had a bluetooth transmitter pretty close and it messed with the signal coming in over the cat6.

It's works really well! I love it, and I mentally thank fenderman for his advise (almost) every time I go out to the garage. :)

It's a pretty simple way to get your security monitor images to other locations. I think it goes without saying but I will say it anyway, what you are creating is another monitor, you have no control of the images (rewind etc) from these locations. You have to go to the monitor that is connected directly to your recorder.

I don’t think the pc I use has an hdmi out on the video card :-( and of it did what exactly do you “feed” to it? How can I just feed one or two camera feeds as opposed to the entire admin ?

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I don’t think the pc I use has an hdmi out on the video card :-( and of it did what exactly do you “feed” to it? How can I just feed one or two camera feeds as opposed to the entire admin ?
I am not sure if you have this ability but try to use ui3 with a raspberry pi - won't take up much room and a bit cheaper:
Using Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspbian to view Blue Iris UI3!

Thanks for sharing this in more detail.

Was there any reason going this route vs UI3? I guess pros is that you are able to have visibility even if you lose internet. And it should be faster no lag picture. If you don't need to control cams it is a good option.

samP504

n3wb
Reaction score
I am not sure if you have this ability but try to use ui3 with a raspberry pi - won't take up much room and a bit cheaper:
Using Raspberry Pi B+ / Raspbian to view Blue Iris UI3!

Thanks for sharing this in more detail.

Was there any reason going this route vs UI3? I guess pros is that you are able to have visibility even if you lose internet. And it should be faster no lag picture. If you don't need to control cams it is a good option.

I do have a Pi but the main issues with this is the constant needing to keep the linux install up-to-date i think. In my experience it's always been a huge drag to keep an install going as there always seems that something needs an upgrade which triggers a dependency issue, which makes you hunt for yet another package, so on and so forth....

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I do have a Pi but the main issues with this is the constant needing to keep the linux install up-to-date i think. In my experience it's always been a huge drag to keep an install going as there always seems that something needs an upgrade which triggers a dependency issue, which makes you hunt for yet another package, so on and so forth....
You can connect to Pi through SSH to update never touching the system so no need to even hook up keyboard or anything. Just place Pi on back of monitor and there is a way to even setup auto-updates on Pi. Just a suggestion :)

nowandthen

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I've explained about all I can. I don't have great PC knowledge. I'm sure others can help you better than I. I do know this setup has worked for years. Nothing to update. It just works. The Roku approach is interesting.

TL1096r

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I've explained about all I can. I don't have great PC knowledge. I'm sure others can help you better than I. I do know this setup has worked for years. Nothing to update. It just works. The Roku approach is interesting.
I like your setup for easy set it forget it and no worries. It is just basically mirroring the image on your main BI computer right?

Reaction score
I guess you are leaving that monitor on & the computer logged in all the time as well. Is that correct?

My goal is to have a secondary monitor that just displays the BI cameras 7x24 even when the computer is locked.

Thanks again for adding the details for this option.