DIY wireless home automation control panel

bp2008

Staff member
Reaction score
I want to share my recent experience putting together three remote controls for my home automation. I was not happy with any Z-Wave remote control or wireless wall panel I could find, so I built my own. I used wireless numpads linked to Raspberry Pi computers.

This is one of the finished numpad remote controllers.

The items I used:

G-Cord Wireless Numpad: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T5J6GK0
Dockem Damage-Free Wall Mount: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004Z88WSK
Blank keyboard stickers: Amazon.com: BLANK KEYBOARD STICKER WHITE BACKGROUND FOR DESKTOP, LAPTOP AND NOTEBOOK: Computers & Accessories
Fine tipped markers for labeling the keys: Amazon.com : Sharpie Permanent Markers, Ultra-Fine Point, Assorted, 12 Pack : Office Products
Raspberry Pi 2 Model B: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00TFV5QTA

I already had the following:

Network-controllable infrared blaster: Global Cache iTach: Amazon.com: Global Cache IP2IR iTach Wired TCP/IP to IR: Computers & Accessories

Z-wave controller: VeraLite (though I am linking the newer VeraEdge model for future reference): Vera Control VeraEdge-US Smart Home Controller Hub, Black - - Amazon.com

-------------------------------------------------

The panel can control the light in my living room and dimmable lights in my kitchen. It can open and close the curtain over my sliding glass door. In addition, because I have a network controllable infrared blaster, it can turn my air conditioner and (tv) projector on and off using infrared commands that were learned from their respective remote controls (this was honestly the most complex part of the whole setup, because the iTach is not user-friendly).

Of course, I did this the hard way. I had to write my own software to listen for input from the numpad and trigger the associated devices. It is also a bit of a bummer that the numpads, being battery powered, are not illuminated. So it is a bit difficult to use at night.

In all honesty I could have spent less money and installed cheap Android tablets, then used a commercial home automation app. It would have been more flexible and I could even have put some camera views on the screens. The tablets would have to be tethered to an outlet for power, but I think it is well worth the tradeoff.

Update 2019-06-07

I now have 7 wireless numpads around the house being used as remote controls for stuff. As part of this, I rewrote the software and built an installer for it, making it much easier to deploy on a raspberry pi and configure through a web interface.

Software:bp2008/HotkeyAutomation

Since I started, I've learned two things.

1) There are a lot of wireless numpads which look exactly like this but with different branding, and they do not all work exactly the same. My latest three have the brand "Sunreed" and their "5" key doesn't work at all unless Num Lock is on. Trouble is, Num Lock is the state which lights up the little blue LED which would drain the battery much more quickly if I left it that way all the time.

2) The Dockem wall mount really isn't necessary. All you really need is these picture-hanging command strips which have a velcro-like surface so you can pull them apart without removing the adhesive and destroying the strip. One strip on the wall, one on the back of the numpad, and it mounts cleanly just like that and is easily removable for battery replacement every year or two.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

Mike

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice job, looks cool. Gives me some ideas for my Z-Wave network! Thanks for sharing this with the forum.

SyconsciousAu

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
The tablets would have to be tethered to an outlet for power, but I think it is well worth the tradeoff.
This is not my work but in my travels on the web I have seen this setup where a 12V CCTV Supply is hooked into a 12V to 5V DC-DC step down converter which is used to power a Qi wireless charger. Looks like a neat setup for powering this sort of thing.

Attachments

MartyO

Banned
Reaction score
Been reading about ZigBee, Zwave and wifi for home automation and concluded, with little confidence that Zwave today is the best path. Then I see Honeywell offers both WIFI and Zwave thermostats, so I'm not sure what to think. Anybody got opinions?

HoLeeShiet

n3wb
Reaction score
This is not my work but in my travels on the web I have seen this setup where a 12V CCTV Supply is hooked into a 12V to 5V DC-DC step down converter which is used to power a Qi wireless charger. Looks like a neat setup for powering this sort of thing.

Great idea! Would you mind to post a url to the original tutorial? And where to buy all the items?