Do I need a Smart NVR if my cameras already have AI functionality?

csterg

n3wb
Reaction score
Hi All,
I have been installing cameras around my apartment, all of them being 5442. All of them have AI and smart functions and I have them recording smart events to my NFS.
I have read here that 24x7 recording is something I should also have, so I am looking at getting a Dahua NVR.

My question is this: since all my cameras already have the AI functionality, do I need to get a NVR that also provides the same features? Or a 'simple' (e.g. no AI detection) NVR will suffice?
Apart from the obvious reason that I might want to get a non-AI camera in the future (which I doubt), is there any technical reason to prefer the AI features of a Dahua NVR instead of the one in the camera itself? (assuming all are 5442 or better)

Thanks

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Most NVR's that advertise 'AI' don't actually have AI built in, they use the camera's AI processing. It just means it supports the AI of the camera.
The Dahua NVR's with '-I' or '-L' have AI processing built in and you will see the considerable price difference.

Here, my camera is doing the AI processing the NVR supports recording when the rule was triggered.
1656395786996.png

My suggestion is to buy an NVR that supports AI so it enables the AI function of the camera to be used.