Do I need waterproof RJ45 plugs for outdoor cameras?

CoachZ

n3wb
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing some cameras around my house (probably in soffit areas mostly).

I'm planning to buy outdoor cable, like Ubiquiti TOUGHCable and cut it to length, but I was wondering if I need any kind of special RJ45 jacks or need to do anything for waterproofing/weatherproofing the connection. How do you guys typically handle stuff like this if you are crimping your own cables?

tangent

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing some cameras around my house (probably in soffit areas mostly).

I'm planning to buy outdoor cable, like Ubiquiti TOUGHCable and cut it to length, but I was wondering if I need any kind of special RJ45 jacks or need to do anything for waterproofing/weatherproofing the connection. How do you guys typically handle stuff like this if you are crimping your own cables?
You don't need outdoor cable so long as you run the wires inside your attic / walls. Regular cable is much easier to work with.

It's probably overkill to get weatherproof plugs, decent cameras come with a plastic boot of sores that helps protect the connection but water can get in. All you have to do is wrap that with some silicone tape. The connection should be inside a junction box or in the soffit/ceiling/wall