Do UPS offer any other benefit aside from keeping cameras and NVR running?

erotavlas

n3wb
Reaction score
I occasionally get brownouts but nothing severe. So I was wondering if I even need a UPS.

Aside from keeping the cameras running and the NVR recording when the power is out, does the UPS offer any other benefit?

I mean does pulling the power on the NVR abruptly as in a power failure, cause any damage to the hard disk, or other internals of the NVR?

Wildcat_1

Known around here
Reaction score
In a word YES. Pulling power on spinning platter (regular HDD’s not SSD’s) drives can cause issues with overall health of the drive and possible corruption of data. 2 things you really don’t want to run the risk of with a security system if you don’t have to. Depending on the UPS you use you’ll also gain surge protection + power conditioning as well. I highly advocate for both your network infrastructure (switches, associated POE cameras etc) + NVR (amongst other things) reside on a UPS.

HTH

I occasionally get brownouts but nothing severe. So I was wondering if I even need a UPS.

Aside from keeping the cameras running and the NVR recording when the power is out, does the UPS offer any other benefit?

I mean does pulling the power on the NVR abruptly as in a power failure, cause any damage to the hard disk, or other internals of the NVR?

erotavlas

n3wb
Reaction score
From what I've read HikVision doesn't even support controlled shutdown of the NVR when it switched to UPS power and the UPS runs out of power.
If it doesn't then whats the point if the power outage lasts longer than the runtime of the UPS?

In any case I'll probably just get one for surge protection + case where power outage is shorter than runtime of UPS.

Last edited:

LM2032

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're powering your cameras via POE and it is supplied by your NVR, then the POE supply max consumption should be included in that 65W for the NVR.

If you're powerinig the cameras from a seperate 12V supply, then you might want to see what your power consumption is on the mains side since there will be a small amount of loss.

WIldcat is correct. There are a lot of benefits to running a UPS. Significantly less wear on your equipment. I run a small 480W UPS on my system....one NVR (3 drives), one managed 26 port POE switch, remote power controller, and 12 POE Dahua cams from Andy. It's purpose is to keep the system running until the genset comes online. The entire system is drawing 0.72A (90W) with IR on...so, if you're running POE to your cams, even a fairly small UPS will get you a decent amount of time.

erotavlas

n3wb
Reaction score
If you're powering your cameras via POE and it is supplied by your NVR, then the POE supply max consumption should be included in that 65W for the NVR.

If you're powerinig the cameras from a seperate 12V supply, then you might want to see what your power consumption is on the mains side since there will be a small amount of loss.

WIldcat is correct. There are a lot of benefits to running a UPS. Significantly less wear on your equipment. I run a small 480W UPS on my system....one NVR (3 drives), one managed 26 port POE switch, remote power controller, and 12 POE Dahua cams from Andy. It's purpose is to keep the system running until the genset comes online. The entire system is drawing 0.72A (90W) with IR on...so, if you're running POE to your cams, even a fairly small UPS will get you a decent amount of time.
Thanks, I calculated approximately 85 Watts for my 4 camera HikVision kit. The cameras are all powered by the NVR.

I have an APC BR700G UPS on my desktop and honestly I think its too much since I'm ok with a controlled shutdown, and not really running anything that needs continuous uptime - i never used it except for surge protection and I've had it for over 5 years now (recently replaced battery). I was thinking to move that to the NVR, and get a smaller one for my desktop. From the data sheet for the UPS it should give over 30 min. runtime (based on 31 min for 100watt consumption)

looney2ns

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Brownouts are hard on equipment.
Quick power drops, and back on are worse and really hard on electronics.
I highly recommend UPS's that have AVR ability. AVR=Automatic Voltage Regulation.
Everyone should also have a good whole house surge suppressor installed at the meter.