Do you have a PTZ autotracking camera, good or useless?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Despite the received wisdom on here that PTZ, and PTZ's cameras with auto tracking aren't being recommended, nevertheless does any member include one of these auto-tracking PTZ cameras in their CCTV system and use one successfully, dare I say it recommend to others on here a camera with this feature?
I've two cameras with auto-tracking, one in use a Hikvision, one in stock a Dahua. At the front of our property passing car headlights overcome the auto tracking, after the car has passed the camera remains stationed off to the far left. I probably should have set up a timed returned to the camera's forward set position. The current advantage of me having a PTZ is that I can position the camera like it was a varifocal. Next year my second auto tracking PTZ will be mounted at the rear of our property where car headlights wont be a distraction.

genelit

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Hi,

In May (just checked the time stamp) I bought the Dahua SD59432XA-HNR.

The camera handles auto tracking flawless as as long as there's nothing in between the camera and the object it follows and in day mode.

ljw2k

Known around here
Reaction score
What camera's do you have because the earlier PTZ camera's was not very good at all with autotracking where the newer Ai camera's are pretty good. I have a SD49225XA-HNR I will be selling soon if your interested and I can even set it up for you.

Let me know if you want any clips from it's auto tracking capabilities Day or Night.

dirk6665

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
What camera's do you have because the earlier PTZ camera's was not very good at all with autotracking where the newer Ai camera's are pretty good. I have a SD49225XA-HNR I will be selling soon if your interested and I can even set it up for you.

Let me know if you want any clips from it's auto tracking capabilities Day or Night.
If they are not interested - I may be - do you have an idea what you would be asking?

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
ljw2k
I'm less interested in buying, more interested in why you are selling.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score

I’ve had this fairly new AI model for a bit less than 2 months. It’s is serving 3 important functions and so far I’m very pleased with it.
I will note it is in a mix of other fixed cameras, all of which have specific purposes, but it’s a positive addition to the overall surveillance system for our little neighborhood.

The only downside to it is the sensor not being up to the task of good color night vision in my scene. There is however a big brother model of this series with the 1/1.8” sensor that I think may just be perfect.

That said I also have 2 smaller 2MP PTZs (non tracking) at home both make use of spotter cameras and are very useful in capturing a fixed scene as well as upon activation by the spotter, turning to a 2nd preset and getting a valuable face shot, thus saving the cost of an additional fixed camera.

So yes I think the newer AI PTZs are approaching what we all think of in useful, reliable auto tracking cameras, but that comes at a price.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I have two autotracking PTZ's (see sig for which ones) and I love them but they ultimately fail me when needed for super critical captures. They either return to home to fast or over track. Mine are a couple years old. I still really like them but the AT is more a novelty than a reliable feature to me and I'm ok with that. I have 20+ other cams that capture all areas that I need so that's probably why it doesn't bother me that they aren't perfect.

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have two autotracking PTZ's (see sig for which ones) and I love them but they ultimately fail me when needed for super critical captures. They either return to home to fast or over track. Mine are a couple years old. I still really like them but the AT is more a novelty than a reliable feature to me and I'm ok with that. I have 20+ other cams that capture all areas that I need so that's probably why it doesn't bother me that they aren't perfect.
Exact same for me. Two auto trackers basically for fun. And 29+ cams to guarantee coverage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

toastie

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
bigredfish, I'm interested in your reference to having "spotter cameras" being linked to a PTZ's autotracking, as far as I'm concerned this is a possible game changer. So the spotter cameras get triggered by an event and send in effect a signal to the PTZ saying, "hey PTZ camera turn to look back over here to see what I'm seeing", until the spotters cameras' trigger signals drops out and the PTZ says to itself, "enough is enough, there are no droids here" and returns to its set on guard station.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
Close, the NVR actually relays the message for the spotter to the ptz , and a time task on the ptz says I’ve been here long enough, I’m going back to my home preset.

bradner

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
bigredfish, I'm interested in your reference to having "spotter cameras" being linked to a PTZ's autotracking, as far as I'm concerned this is a possible game changer. So the spotter cameras get triggered by an event and send in effect a signal to the PTZ saying, "hey PTZ camera turn to look back over here to see what I'm seeing", until the spotters cameras' trigger signals drops out and the PTZ says to itself, "enough is enough, there are no droids here" and returns to its set on guard station.
Pretty much. I had my PTZ's being told where to go by my stationary cams before I did some big camera upgrades and I haven't had the time to redo my spotter cam settings etc.... that's the best use for the PTZ actually -- thanks for reminding me!

I had a bunch of presets set up in my PTZ to match the particular spotter cam and when that spotter cam would get a trigger, it would make the PTZ go to that particular preset. Sort of cool way to use it.

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Spotter cams improve the functionality of the PTZ tremendously in my opinion.

It helps ensure as much as possible that the camera is looking where action is and with auto track, it can really zoom in and capture a clearer image and intent of someone further from your property. This is how the perp that went through my neighborhood was put in jail - he avoided my property probably because it is well lit, but the PTZ tracked him for some time and was able to get great captures of him and the stolen stash he placed by the electric box as he went about his business.

Doesn't completely eliminate other cameras as it could still be looking at one thing while something else is going on, but is certainly a nice add-on. I wouldn't want it for single coverage, but it is a great supplement to fixed cams and I got it after I had cams to cover all around my house.

You can do spotter cam duty within Blue Iris as well.