Do you need a VPN if you don’t access your home security camera via public WiFi?

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
Do you need a VPN if you don’t access your home security camera/Blue Iris system via public WiFi?

Last edited:

Oceanslider

Known around here
Reaction score
HI @Oceanslider

Cellphone network? - that is typically outside your home LAN ... so yes you would need a VPN server on your router ( or equivalent ) and VPN software / app on your mobile device
Okay, thanks Mat200. I do have an Asus RT-AC68U router that I loaded Merlin with years ago that I can setup. I've been using this rock solid router since I bought it almost 8yrs ago.

Last edited:

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still new to all this and learning after reading tons of great stuff on here.

I always just assumed by having cams and setting strong passwords that you are safe. I mean it is safer than the defaults but enough people on this site have convinced me of its importance to set up a VPN and get the ability of the cams to talk to the outside off my system.

I never connect to public wifi and would rather stay on cellular data even if slower.

My question is how to deal with that momentary gap or lapse when you connect to a public wifi and before you VPN makes connection - regardless of your device, whether it be a PC, android, or apple seems to always be running something in the background - whether it be a social media app, weather app, your email, App Store, etc. I think the first thing the App store does when I connect to wifi is to look for apps to update.

I mean even if you turn that off and have email, etc. set to manual sync, your device has to still be transmitting something and how to you prevent and ensure that from the time you connect to a wifi until your VPN establishes connection that the wifi isn't putting something on your device or pulling something off running in the background that you have no idea was running?

This alone would probably cause me to still not connect to a public wifi even with the VPN and would use the VPN over my cellular data or is that just being even more paranoid than one needs to be?

Thoughts?

mat200

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
Still new to all this and learning after reading tons of great stuff on here.

I always just assumed by having cams and setting strong passwords that you are safe. I mean it is safer than the defaults but enough people on this site have convinced me of its importance to set up a VPN and get the ability of the cams to talk to the outside off my system.

I never connect to public wifi and would rather stay on cellular data even if slower.

My question is how to deal with that momentary gap or lapse when you connect to a public wifi and before you VPN makes connection - regardless of your device, whether it be a PC, android, or apple seems to always be running something in the background - whether it be a social media app, weather app, your email, App Store, etc. I think the first thing the App store does when I connect to wifi is to look for apps to update.

I mean even if you turn that off and have email, etc. set to manual sync, your device has to still be transmitting something and how to you prevent and ensure that from the time you connect to a wifi until your VPN establishes connection that the wifi isn't putting something on your device or pulling something off running in the background that you have no idea was running?

This alone would probably cause me to still not connect to a public wifi even with the VPN and would use the VPN over my cellular data or is that just being even more paranoid than one needs to be?

Thoughts?
HI wittaj,

I always just assumed by having cams and setting strong passwords that you are safe.

Strong passwords, or at least NOT the default nor a common password is a critical first step.

My question is how to deal with that momentary gap or lapse when you connect to a public wifi and before you VPN makes connection

As you have guessed, using any public wifi can be a way to be exposed to cyber threats.

imho it is very hard to be completely secure ( example Bezo's cell phone vs MBS + Israeli cyber security talent for hire.. )

What should mire mortals do?
1) Have a cell phone which the OEM / vendor makes frequent updates to.
2) Keep the software updated on your phone ( maybe some exceptions to this - which of course requires you to do some more DIY learning on the details .. )
3) Read a good security blog / articles
4) .... ( insert more good advice from others here )..

also remember to backup your phone ...

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
I’ve found that engaging the vpn before I connect to public Wi-Fi causes the vpn to immediately re-connect once on Wi-Fi. It’s probably a bit faster than me clicking app to open it and then clicking connect. But I see your concern, there is that instant that you are connected to the public Wi-Fi before the vpn is engaged.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wittaj

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve found that engaging the vpn before I connect to public Wi-Fi causes the vpn to immediately re-connect once on Wi-Fi. It’s probably a bit faster than me clicking app to open it and then clicking connect. But I see your concern, there is that instant that you are connected to the public Wi-Fi before the vpn is engaged.

Interesting...so do you still think that moment of no protection exists doing this method? But I guess you wouldn't want to have VPN open for long as it would be using cellular a lot!

mikeynags

Known around here
Reaction score
Interesting...so do you still think that moment of no protection exists doing this method? But I guess you wouldn't want to have VPN open for long as it would be using cellular a lot!
I don’t see how you can get around it. For the split second or two that you are connected to public Wi-Fi, I wouldn’t worry about it.