Does anyone know where I can find the firmware for DS-2CD2042WI-I?

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
I bought a couple of these:

HIKVISION V5.3.3 4MP International Version POE IP Bullet Camera Security DS-2CD2042WD-I 4mm firmware upgradeable

I read from the amazon description on the link I bought them that they were upgradable to at least v5.3.6 but the closest to that I can find this site (http://www.hikvision.com/us/download_89.html) is for cameras DS-2x22FWD and 2x42FWD... there is no F in my model number. Could that still be the same thing?

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Why do you want to upgrade the firmware?
I'm hoping it will fix the e-mail issue with using a gmail account to send e-mails from the camera. Google no longer supports SSL and there isn't a TLS encryption option in the current firmware settings.

There is a TLS option though for the latest DS-2CD2032-I firmware and using gmail works great again after I upgrade those cameras.

No luck finding new firmware for DS-2CD2042WD-I though.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Well, after finding this page for the camera:

http://www.hikvision.com/us/Products_1_10533_i7579.html

And seeing that it had downloads linked to that same "xFWD" firmware, I decided to go for.

The good news is the camera didn't brick, still has english menus and still works... but bad news is that firmware doesn't have the TLS upgrade for e-mail:

I don't get why hikvision makes this so complicated when it comes to updating... why not just include a "check for latest firmware" button on the web interface like so many routers do? I see the exact same camera model advertised elsewhere on amazon now but with a 5.4.0 firmware which I can't find anyhwere... just that 5.3.6 which gave me the new web interface over 5.3.3 but obviously not all the new options that my DS-2CD2032 cameras have.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Okay, I found 5.4.0 for these cameras here:

http://www.forum.use-ip.co.uk/resources/hikvision-firmware-update-for-ds-2cd2x42fwd-ip-cameras.13/reviews
(backup host: [FONT=source_sans_proregular]https://mega.nz/#!3c8EwCAZ!7rmX_sbkCReus3JpfEeHFbLperxMnJMdYSTM8MPKy5Y)
[/FONT]
(edit: here it is on an official, I think, hikvision site --> click here)

I'm not sure how smart it was to try installing that not directly downloaded from an official hikvision website but I was getting impatient and it ended up working (bringing the firmware to v5.4.0 build 160401) just fine and now the camera has TLS support and works with gmail again. Finally. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Del Boy

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I don't get why hikvision makes this so complicated when it comes to updating... why not just include a "check for latest firmware" button on the web interface like so many routers do?
Routers are for end-users. Hikvision cameras are for professionals to install. It's that simple. That's their business model.

Love the "I didn't get a reply in an hour so I risked bricking my camera" approach. Use the search function on here and you would've found the firmware.

latropa

n3wb
Reaction score
Routers are for end-users. Hikvision cameras are for professionals to install. It's that simple. That's their business model.
Makes sense they would offer lousy support, otherwise more end-users would get to save a lot of money instead of buying those all-in-one systems you find at stores that are just rebranded hikvision at jacked up price.

Love the "I didn't get a reply in an hour so I risked bricking my camera" approach. Use the search function on here and you would've found the firmware.
It was more of a I did more searching and found something that looked promising. But, yeah, it would have been smarter to wait and see if I got a definitive answer. Once I start something though, I get impatient. :)

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
Makes sense they would offer lousy support, otherwise more end-users would get to save a lot of money instead of buying those all-in-one systems you find at stores that are just rebranded hikvision at jacked up price.
Hikvision does this because they dont want to deal with the thousands of users who would destroy their tech support line because they dont know an ip address from mac address. The rebranded hikvision systems are actually not more expensive than distributors such as ADI. You are limited with respect to design and lens options though...