Does anyone LiveStream their camera on youtube?

area651

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I searched and didn't see any mention of live streaming on Youtube. My idea is to set up a wildlife camera similar to this one

or
There are a LOT more of these on youtube. Just search wildlife live stream. I have mine set up but it is nowhere near as clear as some of what I'm seeing online. I have tried my 2MP Loryta starlight (IPC-T2231T-ZS) as well as my 8MP Amcrest (IP8M-T2599EW) and I'm not getting the quality on Youtube that others are getting. The feeds look great on my direct camera feeds as well as my BI5 feeds though.

If anyone is doing similar, please PM me and let's figure out what I'm missing!

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I tried using BI and direct from one of my cams and I had the same problem - stream would die all the time.

cyberwolf_uk

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Using Live Broadcast from my Synology NAS. I'm not sure what other youtube "creators" use.
View attachment 147692
Synology's plugin / app makes it so easy to stream your camera if your camera is connected through Surveillance Centre. I've used this many times to quickly stream a camera live via YouTube. As I run all my cameras through BlueIris, I still have the cameras in "SC" for 24/7/14 recording and as research and messing around with the above and other things.
Whilst Surveillance Centre is a very good product its not even in the same league as BlueIris but its getting a lot better. I just feel Synology need to invest more time and effort in this product and maybe work on their licence model as still quite expensive especially when compared to BI

78suited

Young grasshopper
Reaction score
I tried using BI and direct from one of my cams and I had the same problem - stream would die all the time.
I made some changes in my camera settings and the stream looks more stable now. It's live for over 10 hours now, and that a personal record! Fingers crossed it will stay online.....

Last edited:

Mike A.

Known around here
Reaction score
I made some changes in my camera settings and the stream looks more stable now. It's live for over 10 hours now, and that a personal record! Fingers crossed it will stay online.....
I may try it again. My streams/connectivity seem fine. It's YouTube that seemed to drop it/timeout for whatever reason.

For those who have it running 24x7 continually, was there anything special that you needed to do to keep the live link up?

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
+1^^ to your question.
I'm going to try OBS; I have it already, it's free and has many good ratings. I'm able to get Blue Iris overlays such as date/time and temp on there OK. We'll see.

I have a 60 day trial of vMix but can't seem to get it to accept a stream from BI with the overlays like I can in OBS; from the cam directly yes but not from BI...again, we'll see, I'm still working on it.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
Cameras that support RTMP output can work directly to Youtube.
Sadly this does not work behind an NVR, unless the NVR supports RTMP.

s3rp1c0

n3wb
Reaction score
That might be true in most cases but my cheap Lorex system has both wired and wireless cameras recording to the NVR and I just stream RTMP directly from NVR into OBS and onto Twitch from there. By pulling the streams from the NVR, maybe it takes the load off the cameras, I don't know but seems to work well for me.

Mark_M

Getting comfortable
Reaction score
I just stream RTMP directly from NVR into OBS and onto Twitch from there.
I think you are referring to RTSP instead of RTMP.

A camera with RTMP can stream to platforms without the need to use a second device to encode to RTMP.
Take this video example:

s3rp1c0

n3wb
Reaction score
I think you are referring to RTSP instead of RTMP.

A camera with RTMP can stream to platforms without the need to use a second device to encode to RTMP.
Take this video example:

Yup, you're right... I always seem to mix them up. I use rtsp:/user:pass@192.168.1.70:554/cam/realmonitor?channel=4&subtype=0 into OBS. I was it through FFMPEG to Youtube but wasn't as pretty as OBS.

thanks for clarifying...

t.