Does anyone monitor their residential cameras?

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
What am I missing??

I have 5 cameras, four that feed into my NVR, which is attached to my main 65" TV, but NEVER monitor. I also have one Dahua turret camera that points down my driveway into the street. I use this camera as the only camera that I actively monitor, only because I used an old cell phone and tablet for a monitor.

My setup, I took an old Android cell phone and installed the Android version of EasyviewerLight onto it. Since I spend most of my time at the computer (retired and bored), it sits right in front of my computer monitor.

Also, took an old Android tablet and installed that app so it monitors my driveway, 24/7. I mounted it on the wall next to my TV, thanks to Velcro.

My mailperson, usually comes around noon, but sometimes as late as 5 pm, I am too lazy to go out to the mail box if he has not run yet. So, If I don't see him/her stop at my mail box, I will check my recordings.

To check my recordings from my driveway cam, I use the Emby app running on my Nvidia Shield connected to my TV. It is easy to find the specific incidence, that I am looking for, such as my mailperson, dropping off my mail. I encluded some pics to demonstrate.

I am curious how and why you monitor your camera/s. I have no need or desire to monitor my other cameras attached to my NVR.

camera (1).jpgcamera (2).jpg camera (3).jpg camera (4).jpg

TonyR

IPCT Contributor
Reaction score
.......Since I spend most of my time at the computer (retired and bored), it sits right in front of my computer monitor.
I'm happy for you, brother.
I've been retired for 15 years now and there's not enough hours in a day now, it seems. I also ponder "..how in the world did I used to get done what I did back when I was working 50 - 60 hours a week?"

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
I have a 1x8 HDMI splitter that sends the signal to every TV in the house. I also have 3 monitors that I got for free that are on 24/7 for monitoring in the rooms we spend most of our time in. I have my main exterior cameras displayed and it 1-ups when there is motion so it catches your eye when something’s moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have a 1x8 HDMI splitter that sends the signal to every TV in the house. I also have 3 monitors that I got for free that are on 24/7 for monitoring in the rooms we spend most of our time in. I have my main exterior cameras displayed and it 1-ups when there is motion so it catches your eye when something’s moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for this information. I like the passive monitors. How do you get the video onto your monitors, HDMI cable from your HDMI splitter?

th182

BIT Beta Team
Reaction score
As an Amazon Associate IPCamTalk earns from qualifying purchases.

bigredfish

Known around here
Reaction score
I have an old PC tower sitting beside the desk connected to a nice Samsung monitor. I connect via the LAN using SmartPSS. Great tool for monitoring, lots of nice features. We also have an older iPad loaded with iDMSS that is usually sitting in the other room with my wife.

SmartPSS-Capture.jpg

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
My computer is always connected to my NVR's while I am awake. I shut it down when I go do bed at night. When I wake up in the morning I turn it back on. I can click on the link and view 15 cameras.

Last edited:

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
My computer is always connected to my NVR's while I am awake. I shut it down when I go do bed at night. When I wake up in the morning I turn it back on. I can click on the link at and view 15 cameras.
You mean your computer monitor is always this playing your cameras?

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I like to eat breakfast while reviewing the nights clips and watching the cams switch to color mode.

Parley

Known around here
Reaction score
You mean your computer monitor is always this playing your cameras?
Only if I click on the link. The iVMS-4200 Client icon is there and I only have to click on it to see the cameras. They come right up. Like you I also have a small form factor computer by the 65" TV and I can watch the cameras on that if I choose.

lifeatredline

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
I have never thought of that. But my neighborhood is quite boring. My only excitement is waiting for the postal service.........
In my neighborhood there is usually a police car or several a few times a week. A manhunt has ended on my block more than once, the last one when bad guy tripped my cameras and I called it in. So its both entertainment to review video, and necessity.

Frankenscript

Known around here
Reaction score
Greetings from another Emby fan. I just use mine for movies and TV shows, not my security footage though. Nice setup!

Reaction score
During the day I work in my office in the house with the door closed, so I have all the cameras for both properties up on a 21" monitor (just using UI3 on my laptop). In a room with the door closed (so I'm not disturbed or disturbing others when on the phone), I felt really disconnected, now much better.

It used to freak the UPS guy out when I met him at the door, now he's used to it. At night I keep it up on the iPad and glance at it if I see movement.

Ronnie Bailey

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
During the day I work in my office in the house with the door closed, so I have all the cameras for both properties up on a 21" monitor (just using UI3 on my laptop). In a room with the door closed (so I'm not disturbed or disturbing others when on the phone), I felt really disconnected, now much better.

It used to freak the UPS guy out when I met him at the door, now he's used to it. At night I keep it up on the iPad and glance at it if I see movement.
Sounds like a good passive setup......