Does anyone use the 'patrol' feature on their PTZ Units

Silas

Pulling my weight
Reaction score
I have seen the settings on them, but I do not own one as yet and just wonder if anyone does use the function and could offer comments or suggestions as to relativity.

Cheers

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have seen the settings on them, but I do not own one as yet and just wonder if anyone does use the function and could offer comments or suggestions as to relativity.

Cheers
it is completely useless unless you sit there monitoring the camera and even then pointless as its not covering the area most of the time. It will also wear out the camera.

sunday

n3wb
Reaction score

Cheers
i wanted to use it, but it appears the my brand new
DS-2DE2A404IW-DE3 does do ptz but not patrol. disappointed.

Ookie

Getting the hang of it
Reaction score
it is completely useless unless you sit there monitoring the camera and even then pointless as its not covering the area most of the time. It will also wear out the camera.
Could not agree more.

You shouldn't be disappointed. The concept of "patrol" is useless.

With regard to relativity, the only real purpose for PTZ at a whole is when the unit is being actively operated by a live person who is inspecting a particular threat.

Remember one thing: when you are panning/tilting/zooming to get a better view of one location, you are completely blind in the other locations that camera could have covered.

Ideally, the entire area should be covered by fixed cameras, with one PTZ cam doing overwatch.

Finally, as he mentioned, patrol will burn out the motors

sunday

n3wb
Reaction score
at night I would have liked to cover a different entrance, so wearing out the motor would not have been a problem (I guess it should be able to allow two turns a day ;-) ), but alas, it doesn't do patrol.

fenderman

Staff member
Reaction score
at night I would have liked to cover a different entrance, so wearing out the motor would not have been a problem (I guess it should be able to allow two turns a day ;-) ), but alas, it doesn't do patrol.
You are confused patrol is not two presets per day... The term you are looking for is presets..

sunday

n3wb
Reaction score
i have presets, but without patrol I don't know how to automatically switch between them

pozzello

Known around here
Reaction score
some cams have 'timed preset', so you can specify when to change from one to another, but dunno if your hik supports that.

Many of us use BlueIris software, which can also do that (invoke a preset at specific time of day) per profile or in the cam's schedule page...

sunday

n3wb
Reaction score
some cams have 'timed preset', so you can specify when to change from one to another, but dunno if your hik supports that.

Many of us use BlueIris software, which can also do that (invoke a preset at specific time of day) per profile or in the cam's schedule page...
I'll have a look. I think I saw something, about a schedule for presets, but didn't figure out how to select the preset.
The blueIris software probably needs to run on some external device for doing that, doesn't it?

Last edited: